Is it normal my 24 week old Brown Shavers won't eat whole corn.

Mrs Clutterbuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm new to chicken keeping have 3 Brown Shavers, I have bought my chicken feed online and it contains whole corn kernals. My girls leave it and it blocks up the feeder. I have taken to picking the corn out but it seems a bit ridiculous. Am I doing something wrong?

Are your girls layers? A good layer formula doesn't have whole corn in it. My layers won't even eat cracked corn.... which is actually OK. Doesn't have much, if any, nutrition. And, it isn't the best summer time food. I've read it can overheat them in warm weather.

Here's one post... there are several if you search forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9652

Last edited:
Yes they are layers, just started laying. It's winter here atm in New Zealand temps about 18 degrees C / 65fh during the day. They eat the cracked corn in the feed, it's just a pain to pick it out! I haven't sourced any other competitively priced feed here in NZ yet. Any recommendations on what I should be looking for in a feed?

Hi from Hawkes Bay

Try Peck and lay from Farmlands - its good value and for our Shavers - they eat it all!!

big_smile.png

Chris

Back
Top Bottom