Is it normal to be a nervous wreck?

Anna_MN

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 4, 2011
Princeton, MN
So I am ordering my very first chicks from McMurray for the week of Feb. 19th. I am getting Buff Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Columbian Wyandottes, and Cornish X Rocks. I only live about 3 1/2 hours from the hatchery so I will probably be getting them the same day that they are shipped. The weather (so far) for Feb. 19th is- high 34, low 19, and cloudy. The weather (so far) for Feb. 20th is- high 38, low 19, and a mix of snow/sleet/rain. I know I am getting mostly heavy breeds, but I am seriously a nervous wreck about getting my my box of chicks, opening it, and finding them all dead or them dieing within two days. I have read, reread, and researched everything I need to know about raising baby chicks for the past two months. I know I shouldn't read the posts about people getting all their chicks dead on arrival or them all dieing within the first few days but I always read them for some reason. Has anyone else been this nervous before?

It is totally normal! Especially if it is your first time. But I must say, I am sure your chicks will be more than fine if you live that close to the hatchery.

When I was expecting my first box, all i could think about were the poor little things in the mail and what could happen. And of course very excited and just wishing they would get here already!! My husband began telling me about the parties they were having in their box. They were dancing to Kung Fu Fighting!! Ha!!! Well it made me laugh anyway :) .

Everything will be fine! Good luck with your chicks!

I got my chicks from the feed store so I didn't have to deal with shipping. But I can honestly say that I was a little scared at first. I was scared I would do something wrong and accidently kill them all. All of this nervousness and worry is soon overcome by excitment as soon as you hear that first peep. This is all normal. It comes with being a new owner of a new pet. Chances are they will all arrive safe and sound.
hugs.gif
Chicks are pretty strong, I wouldn't worry too much. Enjoy them and take lots of pictures. They certainly don't stay small for long.

Yes. I was terribly nervous the first time.

Yes!

Yes. Yes. Yes!

In fact, I think I was probably stil 99% nervous the second batch of chicks. Slept next to the brooder that first night. (Our chicks arrived at the post office around 7pm.) For me, looking back, I realize that some of it was excitement.

Rest assured that you have done your part. It's out of your hands now until the chicks arrive. Things will be better than you think, most likely, because luck favors the prepared person and you've read and reread. You're prepared. So you can just sit back for now and look forward to thoroughly enjoying your new chicks when they join you in their new home!
jumpy.gif

Absolutely! My first hatch is die Saturday and I CANNOT sit still! On top of that, my cat might be going into labor...

Oh thank goodness! I thought I was being silly- I guess some would still consider me being so
lol.png
. I might call today and ask them to put heat packs in with my order. Does anyone know if McMurray will do that?

Oh thank goodness! I thought I was being silly- I guess some would still consider me being so
lol.png
. I might call today and ask them to put heat packs in with my order. Does anyone know if McMurray will do that?

What's cool about how they ship chicks is that the poultry and agricultural college folks way back (maybe 80 years ago) figured out that you can keep 25 chicks warm in exactly the size of package that the hatcheries ship their chicks in. I was really surprised the first time I read it. They did all sorts of studies about shipping chicks and have it all figured out. You can still even find directions online on how to brood chicks in little small brooders like the boxes they ship chicks in. They don't use any energy. I don't think those brooders are very practical, but they do work. I guess if the electricity went out for a long time, it would be a way to keep the chicks warm in a pinch.

The hatcheries have a minimum number of chicks that you have to order so that the chicks will stay warm in the box. If you order less, which some hatcheries allow, they will put heat packs in. An box of 15 -25 chicks with heat packs in it could get too hot and overheated, which can be just as bad as too cold. The hatchery wants our chicks to arrive in great health, so I don't mind trusting them to package them up any way they think is best. I guess I just trust the system after having it work so well so many times.

My only suggestion would be to call your post office and let them know that you would be really thankful if they would call you the second the chicks arrive so that you could come pick them up. Save any phone numbers they give you for next year.

I think I was more excited than nervous until they actually arrived safe and sound. I ordered from McMurray and I live on the Pacific coast in Washington State, so my chicks came a long way. All arrived in good shape, we did lose a few in the first 2 days, but that is to me expected considering their long stressful trip. Honestly I think some of the ones that we lost were packing peanuts put in th ebox for added warmth and to keep the other chicks from being tossed around too much during shipping. You have done your homework (just as I did) and you will be fine. I am brooding my chicks in the coop since they are my first chicks....I was able to section off a small area and set it up so that they were under the heat lamp and had plenty of area to move away from the heat if they chose to. It has worked out fine for me, I must have made a trip out to the coop every hour for the first few days....just to check to see if everybody was doing ok.....now I got out twice a day and they are not even 2 weeks old yet. and yes, they grow very fast!! Enjoy your babies because they won't be babies for long!

I don't know if McMurray will put heat packs in. But I just got my chicks a week ago from Ideal and I was a nervous wreck! From Cameron, TX all the way to Yakima, WA. That's 2,016 miles! And in February! What was I thinking?!! lol I was so worried about them! But they were all alive and are still alive! So there are some good outcomes too! Good luck with your chicks!
smile.png

Our McMurray chicks are about a week and a half old, and they all arrived alive here (to Washington State). They are all still alive and thriving.

We do usually lose a couple of chicks out of 25 when buying shipped chicks. McMurray did not have a heat pack in there, but they were warm and ok!

Back
Top Bottom