Is it normal???

Nana3893

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Our pet chicken is living indoor with us,since she was born (5 months)
Recently she started laying eggs,and about 4 days ago, she went to lay an egg,and haven't came out yet .
I know she's probably brooding,but im concerned she's not coming out at all .
She has water and food next to her,but it doesn't look like she's using it .
Should i worry or do something?
Thanks in advance guys 😊

She could be broody. Does she puff up her feathers and growl when you stroke her?
5 months is quite young to go broody though.
If you don't know whether she has eaten or drunk I would take her out and make sure she does.

She could be broody. Does she puff up her feathers and growl when you stroke her?
5 months is quite young to go broody though.
If you don't know whether she has eaten or drunk I would take her out and make sure she does.
Yep, she's puffing and growling .
She's very protective right now .
Is it normal for them to sit for so long without coming out?
I know she's pretty young,felt weird for me too .

If you wanted her to hatch chicks you could order some fertile eggs for her. Not sure how easy that would be for you with the pandemic though. And she is quite young. My broody hatched at 6 months though.

If you wanted her to hatch chicks you could order some fertile eggs for her. Not sure how easy that would be for you with the pandemic though. And she is quite young. My broody hatched at 6 months though.
And I would imagine hatching chicks inside of a home would be less than ideal for the chicks and mother.

The eggs are not fertile,and we have no intention to grow chicks .
We take her eggs daily,but since she went inside a few days ago we haven't took any eggs because she is so protective .
I dont mind her being there and brooding .
As long as she is healty and ok .
We dont eat the eggs anyway . (vegan)
Why do you think i should remove the eggs and nest?
Just so she wouldn't sit there?

The eggs are not fertile,and we have no intention to grow chicks .
We take her eggs daily,but since she went inside a few days ago we haven't took any eggs because she is so protective .
I dont mind her being there and brooding .
As long as she is healty and ok .
We dont eat the eggs anyway . (vegan)
Why do you think i should remove the eggs and nest?
Just so she wouldn't sit there?
You have to break her broodiness. Being broody is very hard on their bodies. They only come off the nest once a day to eat, drink, defecate and dust bathe before running back to the nest. They will not stop until they are broken of being broody or hatch chicks. Chickens have been known to die on the nest if left like this for extended periods of time.

You have to break her broodiness. Being broody is very hard on their bodies. They only come off the nest once a day to eat, drink, defecate and dust bathe before running back to the nest. They will not stop until they are broken of being broody or hatch chicks. Chickens have been known to die on the nest if left like this for extended periods of time.

Thank you so much,you are a great help for us.
Do i need to expect any behavioral changes after i would remove the eggs and nest?
Does it have a negative influence on her?

Back
Top Bottom