is it normal?

dan_grow

Chirping
9 Years
May 21, 2010
st. Louis
to lose 4-8 chicks within a few hours? their all about 2 or 3 days old and it was extremal cold and wind when i picked them up from the post office. they all seem to be doing fine but 4 refuse to wake up but don't seem nearly as bad as the 4 that already died.

I got 25 rainbow layer assortment from McMurry in April of 2008. They sent 26.

By the end of the 2nd day 11 had died. I don't know why... folks said they were having a infectious issues at the time.

I don't know much about dying chicks, but I do think the cold had something to do with your losses
sad.png
( I'm so sorry) Maybe the Post office had them in a bad draft for too long. Hopefully the others were protected by the poor little chicks that were on the outside of the huddle. Poor babies
sad.png

now i only have 14 left out of the 27 that were sent to me (the last 2 just fell asleep and died) but everyone els seems to bee alright (knocks on wood) and are already twice the size off my layers their age
ep.gif

Shipping is hard on chicks. It's not unusual to have losses, especially if they had temperature fluctuations while in transit. Bantams are the worst and do not fair well with shipping. Large fowl tend to do better with it.

Back
Top Bottom