Is it ok for my 6 month old ducks to eat their own eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CASEYPIETRO7, Jan 16, 2014.

1. CASEYPIETRO7

CASEYPIETRO7 New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Hi everyone I noticed that my ducks just started laying and honestly my family has no interest in the eggs we don't do anything with them so I get lazy sometimes and leave them in there. Well I noticed today that they will break them and eat it well they try to eat it I saw them chasing the one who had the egg in its beak. Is it bad for them to consume the eggs?

2. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    I heard you should never let your chickens ducks etc eat raw eggs it's not good for them and even if ya don't do nothing with them sell them or wait to see if they will hatch them

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I don't know if egg eating is harmful, but I do know that it you've got an egg eater in your flock, it is a nasty habit to break them of. For example, if you are trying to help your broody hatch a clutch, you wouldn't want another duck showing up to eat her eggs! But I do think that hard boiled eggs can be added back to feed, and they certainly make for excellent dog treats too! I wouldn't feed raw. Just seems unsanitary.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Cook 'em up and feed them and/or sell them. It's not harmful to the birds BUT sometimes can lead to egg eating which as HDF you do not want to encourage.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I steam my ducks eggs and feed them to my dogs,except for the ones I use for baking. I wouldn't feed ducks eggs to my flock though or any egg actually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by