Is it ok for my hens to be evicted from the brooder?

Stajas

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
I agree! Since they haven’t had heat during the day it’s time to leave the nest!! Keep them confined to the coop for a week so they know that’s “home”. I bet they will be very happy there! And they will all snuggle together in a cuddle puddle and keep warm!
I’m so excited to watch them!!

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
Nice coop, and yes they're ready to go. "Fully feathered" doesn't actually mean they have to have all their feathers, most is good enough. I thought this was enough for 48F without heat - the salmon one in upper left only had about half her body feathers, and only fluff on head and neck:

4weekminus1.jpg

Stajas

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
Nice coop, and yes they're ready to go. "Fully feathered" doesn't actually mean they have to have all their feathers, most is good enough. I thought this was enough for 48F without heat - the salmon one in upper left only had about half her body feathers, and only fluff on head and neck:

View attachment 2390013
My word! I was so worried they were cold. They could have gone out weeks ago. They’re officially in their new residence tonight and I think they’re loving the room!

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My word! I was so worried they were cold. They could have gone out weeks ago. They’re officially in their new residence tonight and I think they’re loving the room!
I raise mine outdoors so they "toughen up" faster, and so I remove heat between 3-4 weeks. Temps would usually be around 40s-60s (varies in May in PNW). They actually begin to play around in the run at 2 weeks, and simply dart in and out of the brooder to heat up if needed - even at that age I find that they prefer to stay out away from the heat to play when awake, and only opt heat up when napping.

Stajas

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
I raise mine outdoors so they "toughen up" faster, and so I remove heat between 3-4 weeks. Temps would usually be around 40s-60s (varies in May in PNW). They actually begin to play around in the run at 2 weeks, and simply dart in and out of the brooder to heat up if needed - even at that age I find that they prefer to stay out away from the heat to play when awake, and only opt heat up when napping.
Where are you in the PNW? That’s where I am. Last weekend was pretty cold soI brought them in. But tonight they’re in the coop for the first time. It’s not supposed to be below 40. They should be fine. I just went out and checked and they’re all nestled in except my polish. She’s on top of the shavings pile nested with her beak behind her wing.

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
Where are you in the PNW? That’s where I am. Last weekend was pretty cold soI brought them in. But tonight they’re in the coop for the first time. It’s not supposed to be below 40. They should be fine. I just went out and checked and they’re all nestled in except my polish. She’s on top of the shavings pile nested with her beak behind her wing.
I'm in WA. Your chicks sound like they're settled in and cozy so I think they'll do fine. Did any of them voluntarily roost, or did you put them up on there?

Stajas

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2020
I'm in WA. Your chicks sound like they're settled in and cozy so I think they'll do fine. Did any of them voluntarily roost, or did you put them up on there?
I’m in WA as well. None of them have roosted. Should I put them up there? They’re just laying in the bedding.

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
None of them have roosted. Should I put them up there? They’re just laying in the bedding.
That's up to you - I say that because there's 2 mindsets on here. Some folks believe that the chicks should be allowed to learn to roost on their own schedule, that they'll most likely go up on their own once they're ready to do so. Other folks (me) want them roosting ASAP, though I've never had to put them up on roosts. My first group learned to do it from started pullets of the same age that I had added later, then after that all the chicks learned by watching the adults.

early10.jpg
(Most recent babies at 29 days, putting themselves to bed 3 days after being moved into adult coop.)

Top Bottom