Is it ok if my hen hatches her chicks in a high nesting box?

bbecca

Songster
6 Years
May 24, 2016
Oregon
I am using my broody hen to hatch some eggs for the first time. I would like to leave it up to nature as much as possible and let her hatch the eggs where she is already located, in a nesting box. It is about 4 ft high and has a ramp that all the other chickens use as well to get up to the other nesting boxes. I want to know if anyone has had experience letting eggs hatch in a higher nesting box and if you have any tips on it? And after they’re hatched do I put their feed and water in the same nesting box or can I put it in an adjacent one or down on the coop floor and Mom will teach them to walk down ramp??

I am using my broody hen to hatch some eggs for the first time. I would like to leave it up to nature as much as possible and let her hatch the eggs where she is already located, in a nesting box. It is about 4 ft high and has a ramp that all the other chickens use as well to get up to the other nesting boxes. I want to know if anyone has had experience letting eggs hatch in a higher nesting box and if you have any tips on it? And after they’re hatched do I put their feed and water in the same nesting box or can I put it in an adjacent one or down on the coop floor and Mom will teach them to walk down ramp??

I personally wouldn't risk it, if the chicks fall out while hatching or at night time they won't be able to get back up. She will want to take them outside as soon as possible, she might give them a day at most and the chicks may harm themselves getting down. I've never let my pullets hatch eggs in the coop due to the fact that the babies are at risk from other hens, I give them a brooding coop somewhere else so I don't have any experience on that, there are quite a few horror stories of hens grabbing the chicks. Mum will take them outside to drink and eat. My pullets have always got stressed out if I don't let them take their chicks out.

I personally wouldn't risk it, if the chicks fall out while hatching or at night time they won't be able to get back up. She will want to take them outside as soon as possible, she might give them a day at most and the chicks may harm themselves getting down. I've never let my pullets hatch eggs in the coop due to the fact that the babies are at risk from other hens, I give them a brooding coop somewhere else so I don't have any experience on that, there are quite a few horror stories of hens grabbing the chicks. Mum will take them outside to drink and eat. My pullets have always got stressed out if I don't let them take their chicks out.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom