Is it ok to eat a chicken with Bumblefoot?

UK Chicken rancher

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Lewiston, Idaho
I butchered the first hen I had that had bumblefoot before i knew what it was. The second hen I "operated" on but apparently didn't cut deep enough and it has come back a little. I have other reasons for wanting to butcher her, but not sure if I should be concerned about the "infection" being in her body or if is is stricly isolated to her foot. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanx!

Usually bumble foot is staph. I wouldn't want to mess with staph, nasty organism. Cooking would kill it, but I just couldn't get over the gross factor. Let us know what you decide.

Imp-lives vicariously through others

Thanx, that's kinda how i felt................so I guess I'll see if I get any more responses, maybe I'll treat her foot again and butcher her after it heals but I really don't want to wait or waste the meat.................grrrrrrr!

I've treated bumblefoot.

I wouldn't even eat the hen when she was all healed up.

Mahonri Why? Does the staff stay in their body? Then do we want to be eating her eggs?

I love your pic and storyline!​

i wouldnt eat her because of the infection. Nope... not me.
sickbyc.gif

And i dont think i'd eat the eggs either...but thats just me. And i'm a big fat sissy.... so..
hide.gif

I worked at a large freezer plant. We got alot of chiken feet (TONS) for export to china and russia. I saw ALOT of them with bumble foot. Didnt know what it was at the time. But I am glad its going to them and not me. Kinda gross but They got Massive amounts of feet shipped to them. I would say atleast 30% had the black spot and puffy feet. They had been washed and processed but still..... yuck!

Quote:
Glad I haven't eaten breakfast yet. Ugh!

On a lighter note, last summer I thought one of mine had bumblefoot. I called an avian vet to make an appt. That night when I got home I grabbed the hen to look closer and found she had a pink geranium petal stuck to the bottom of her foot, making it look like her foot was swollen and pink.

bigstack,
Cool avatar,

Imp

Alabama49,
What is bumblefoot?

It's a staph infection birds can get on there feet. Similiar to a boil.

Imp​

bigstack wrote:
I worked at a large freezer plant. We got alot of chiken feet (TONS) for export to china and russia. I saw ALOT of them with bumble foot. Didnt know what it was at the time. But I am glad its going to them and not me. Kinda gross but They got Massive amounts of feet shipped to them. I would say atleast 30% had the black spot and puffy feet. They had been washed and processed but still..... yuck!

That is grose, I got to thinking about that when since we are discussing not eating this hen, how many go the the marketplace with ailments and infections like this and we eat them! Good thing I always overcook my meat anyways
big_smile.png

What is bumblefoot?

Alabama49 Here is a great link that shows in detail what it is and how to treat it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649 Hope it still is there for ya'.​

Back
Top Bottom