is it ok to eat the eggs from a chicken with Bumblefoot?

ChickenEllis

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
this may seem like a stupid question but i have 3 chickens with mild cases of Bumblefoot right now and i have had a few people ask me this question when i explain that Bumblefoot is a type of Staph infection.

i also am preparing to start treating the 3 hens today with Tricide-Neo. i noticed on the package that you are not supposed to eat fish treated with the Tri-Neo. could the treatment affect the eggs?

thanks.

just to be safe.... i wouldn't eat them. What goes into the chicken also goes into the egg.
wink.png

i guess this is actually two separate questions:

#1 is it ok to eat eggs from a chicken with Bumblefoot

#2 is it ok to eat eggs from a chicken being treated with Tricide-Neo?

any vets out there that could weigh in? anybody?

i would think this would be an important question with the large numbers of Bumblefoot cases out there.

I ate the eggs from my hen that had bumblefoot but I did the surgery on her, I have not used the other stuff so I don't know,with bumblefoot the infection is trapped in the bumble so I think the eggs are okay to eat.

1) I would think plenty of people have unknowingly eaten eggs from chickens who had - but had yet to be diagnosed with - bumblefoot. They suffered no ill effects.

2) If the medication has been approved for use in humans, you could eat the eggs, but you would be taking unneeded medications. It is probably safer to feed to the dog/cat.

well, the Tricide-Neo is only a foot soaking for the chickens.

they don't ingest any of it.

i'm not sure though if it would absorb into the bloodstream through the feet?

True this one is only a soak. ...and if it's approved for fish it is likely pretty mild stuff...unscientifically...go ahead and eat um if you want.

How do you think the chicken got the staph. It is in the dirt, it can be on your dogs and cats, it is every where. If you visit a hospital, nursing home, day care, etc you are covered in it. Do you immediately take a shower or wash your hands when you leave? It doesn't mean you will get it. Some times you will if your immune system is low. I have several chicken with bumblefoot. I eat the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom