Is it OK to give my 1 maybe 2 day old chicks layer plus?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erner, May 11, 2011.

1. erner

erner Chillin' With My Peeps

So, our hen, Henny Penny hatched out her five eggs in the period of time between yesterday and today, and we haven't had chick starter or chick grower since last spring/summer, so we gave them a chick feeder with some layer plus in it, and 15 minutes ago me and Henny Penny taught the babies to eat it, ad they seem to be doing well, but I wanted to make sure that it's OK to give them the layer plus.

~Erner

P.S. I'll upload pic ASAP.

2. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    I think the calcium in layer feed is not good for them. Also the protein is too low. I would get some chick starter. In the short term you most likely have done no harm. But don't keep 'em on it.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    The above poster is correct.Too much calcium. The protein is often sufficient, however.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Its ok for a few meals, but get some chick feed asap [​IMG]

5. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

It's better to give the mother hen chick starter verses giving the chicks layer feed. While the hen can get by short term on a medicated chick starter, the chicks cannot thrive on a layer feed. Layer feed is not formulated for new born chicks, the calcium levels are way too high as was mentioned. The two major benefits to chick starter is most often it's medicated to help prevent coccidiosis, and it has the proper protein levels for growing and developing chicks.

Congrats on your new babies!

6. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    Quote:Perfectly put!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by