Is it Ok to have Quail and Chickens in the same coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 19maycraft, Nov 6, 2008.

1. 19maycraft

19maycraft Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2007
    Smithfield, NC
    I have 3 buff silkie hens, 1 polish hen and 2 cochin hens...from 1year and half in age down to 8 months...I wanted to get some some adult quail pairs for eggs....Can they live in the same coop together with the chickens

Thanks

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I don't have personal experience, but I've read that many people do have them in the same coop. hth

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I've had quail in cages but not actually running around with the chickens.

I was a little concerned that the chickens would intimidate the quail thru the wire . . . yeah, yeah, what was I thinking [​IMG].

From the get-go, neither group paid any attention to the other.

So, are you talking about those little egg-laying machines - Coturnix quail?

Steve

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    We tried having a bunch of young bobwhites with our chickens, and it didnt work out very well. Our older hens kept going after them like they do the wild birds under the bird feeders in the yards. The quail would try to coop each night, but it was always last and with lots of stress, until finally they just stopped coming back. Now we see them early in the mornings at the free range feeders.

I always felt bad for them in the mornings before we 'opened the gates' cause they would have to be the first ones out, and then get up high where the bigger birds couldnt reach them, we had to put high up perches for them. Maybe if our hens had been younger there wouldnt have been a problem, as our younger birds basically ignored them, but our mature hens sure wanted them gone!

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by