Is it ok to have two perches at the same level?

Renthorin

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Dexter Michigan
I've read that the hens will want to be as high as possible so I was thinking of having two perches but putting them at the same level, one in front of the other. One will be a few inches from the back wall and the other directly in front of it at the same height.

Is this ok? I'm not sure how far to make the back one from the wall and how far to make the closer one from the back one.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Will

It should be far enough from the back wall to accomodate half a standard chicken without touching her tail...to be comfortable I'd space it at least a foot from the wall. Roosts being at the same height should pose no problem though.

That's fine, they'll use them just the same. Many times they'll only use the highest perch and the lower ones are wasted. I've always considered 6" from the wall and 1' between perches to be sufficient.

I think having your roosts all the same hieght is a good thing all mine are the same hieght and there have never been any arguements over who gets the best spot. But they all have a designated spot on the roost, like they roost with there best buds and if someone gets in the wrong spot they will climb over the intruder and squeeze in where she is normally at but no real fights.

Quote:
Just be careful with wet fecal projectiles. Last summer was super hot and spoiling them with all kinds of moist food left a special design on the wall
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom