Is it ok to mix the grit and the oyster shell in one bowl?

Going Quackers

Crowing
12 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
For the moment that is what i am doing but is this alright? i figure they will just pick out which they need but perhaps it's better to have separate containers?

They seem fine with this set-up but thought i'd ask anyways. Thanks!

That is what I do...have a small bucket/tub and when I add-I add half on one side, half on the other-it gets mixed togther but they dig outside and pick what theyw ant-fiure they will with this too.

What you're doing is fine. I personally scatter it on the ground to give them something to do, scratching around a little.

The feed that I get now, a game poultry conditioner, has grit in it. It is usually what remains in the bottom of the feed pan. So I just dump it on the ground. I have a seperate bowl with crushed egg shells and oyster shells in it. All the birds prefer the egg shell to the oyster shells but I leave them out regardless. I've actually never offered grit, I still wouldn't if it wasn't in the feed but my birds are out every day foraging around and we have lots of small gravel and sand etc they can find.

With chickens, I wouldn't be concerned about mixing grit and oyster shell. I wouldn't for the waterfowl though only because they scoop instead of pick so may get more of either than they need.

What you're doing is fine. I personally scatter it on the ground to give them something to do, scratching around a little.

I usually do that when there in the pen, but this is in the coop so it takes less room to just do a singular bowl. :)

The feed that I get now, a game poultry conditioner, has grit in it.  It is usually what remains in the bottom of the feed pan.  So I just dump it on the ground.  I have a seperate bowl with crushed egg shells and oyster shells in it.  All the birds prefer the egg shell to the oyster shells but I leave them out regardless.  I've actually never offered grit, I still wouldn't if it wasn't in the feed but my birds are out every day foraging around and we have lots of small gravel and sand etc they can find.

With chickens, I wouldn't be concerned about mixing grit and oyster shell.  I wouldn't for the waterfowl though only because they scoop instead of pick so may get more of either than they need.

I had no idea some feeds came with grit? I use a flock raiser so they need the added oyster shell, I do give egg shells when I have them too. The grit I provide because they are not always outside and I give veggies and so forth while they are indoors.

The ducks only get oyster shell, they have access to outside mostly all the time besides I make them forage for extras, rarely do I give them anything but a bit of mixed grain and flock raiser but the chickens are penned when out so they cannot find as much.

Last edited:
I live in WI and with snow covered grounds the chooks dont always go outside-thats why I add in grit/gravel

thumbsup.gif
Same issue here, we've been in a brutal cold snap, even the ducks weren't out, the chickens finally got out today, i just shoveled all the snow back lol We are at a steady 0..

Last edited:
should be fine I give mine grit & put it in a bowl in coop they get it when they want But I don't buy oyster shell i just smash up their egg shells & they love it is this ok?

should be fine I give mine grit & put it in a bowl in coop they get it when they want But I don't buy oyster shell i just smash up their egg shells & they love it is this ok?

It is, i do shell on occasion too but i have ducks as well, so purchasing oyster shell is needed to provide for all the birds of laying age. I have found they prefer the actual egg shell. Oyster shell/egg shell is required if you don't do a layer feed, which we only use a flock raiser so added calcium is important.

Last edited:
I had no idea some feeds came with grit? I use a flock raiser so they need the added oyster shell, I do give egg shells when I have them too.

I wasn't sure what it was when I saw it left in the bottom of the feed pan. So, I went into the fresh bag grabbed a handful sorted it to find what I saw and tasted it.
lau.gif
Then was like, oh it's a rock.
My feed store calls the feed 13-way scratch but I had checked on the mill's website and it is a complete feed that they make for "game poultry". It's 16% protein and is my only local option other than layer or medicated starter.

Back
Top Bottom