Is it ok to pen a rooster?

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
I just realized that my Marans hen is actually a rooster. I never wanted a rooster, so now I’m confused as what to do. He’s kinda aggressive to the new chicks and me. I kinda want to get rid of him, then again I would like to get another Marans hen (a real one this time) and get chicks/fertile eggs. So here’s the question: is it ok to pen a rooster until I figure out what I really want to do... or until Spring? If so, what’s the best way to do it without going into too much of an expense? I have an old wire dog kennel, but it’s kinda small.

Well why do you want to pen him? That won’t help with aggression. You can show him who’s boss and “peck” him back which will make him scared of you. Or you can carry him till he can’t stand you. It’s easiest to cull.
I guess I think of the investment. I drove 3 hours round trip to get him, and paid $25. All my other chicks were pretty much free.

If he's aggressive it's better not to pin that heart ache onto someone else who might get attached to him, if you rehome. There are to many sweet roosters looking for homes to deal with a bad one. I think it would be best to put his life to great use and eat him. Plus he might pass aggression onto his sons.

Yes you can pen him, but is that what you really want to do ? For me it would depend upon how aggressive he is. Mild aggression can generally be changed - full out man fighting not so much. Another factor to consider is that aggression is a readily heritable trait. You might be ahead of the game to buy some chicks in the spring. Good luck in your decision.

Aggressive roosters make aggressive offspring in both Male and Female chicks. You will end up with a batch of aggressive babies. I would cull him immediately, without thought or hesitation. I'm currently sporting a nice deep puncture and bruise, from a rooster I thought we could tame. Wish to the heavens we had culled him a lot sooner. But hey, now he can be dinner at a nice 8lbs. Yesterday was the last straw, and he is now in a humane cage, with hay, in the horse trailer until next weekend.

I just realized that my Marans hen is actually a rooster. I never wanted a rooster, so now I’m confused as what to do. He’s kinda aggressive to the new chicks and me. I kinda want to get rid of him, then again I would like to get another Marans hen (a real one this time) and get chicks/fertile eggs. So here’s the question: is it ok to pen a rooster until I figure out what I really want to do... or until Spring? If so, what’s the best way to do it without going into too much of an expense? I have an old wire dog kennel, but it’s kinda small.
It sure is o.k. to pen your "oops" rooster as long as he has room to flap his wings and stretch his legs a little. A 6 foot by 3 foot outdoor run attached to the kennel would work great. Step in stakes, chicken wire, and wildlife netting all over the pen will keep him safe. I have two "oops" roosters in addition to the one I wanted. One is in my small coop about 7 feet by 3 feet. He's pretty happy as long as his favorite hen is with him. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom