Is it ok to use cedar bedding?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ducklover1243, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ducklover1243

ducklover1243 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Is it ok to use cedar bedding? I haven't yet.... but I was wondering if it harms them in any way or if it is ok?

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I've heard not to use any wood chip bedding with chicks as they might eat it. I don't know if it can be used for adults.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some people use it but the aromatic nature of eastern red cedar(which is actually a juniper) bedding is supposed to be bad for chickens and I wouldn't. I'm guessing a lung issue.
    I only use pine shavings and never have trouble.
    For chicks, I use pine shavings but for the first week I cover it completely with burlap so they can't eat it. By then they know what food is and I just roll it up and they have fresh clean pine underneath.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I've heard that cedar is hard on their respiratory system. Not sure if it's true, but I just stick to pine to be safe [​IMG]

5. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG]:celebrate:caf Cedar is suppose to be toxic to chickens.I use pine shavings for my floor as well as in my nests.I rake the mix the shavings and the poo togeather every couple days and this holds down the oder as well as gives me the deep liter that I use for compost.Every now and then I put fresh shavings in the nest boxes and that keeps them fresh and clean:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by