1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it okay NOT to candle eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kcdef, May 8, 2017.

1. kcdef

kcdef Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Is it okay if I do NOT candle my eggs throughout the incubation process? Is this an absolute must to make sure that "bad eggs" don't contaminate the rest or something? I have about 30 eggs in 1 incubator, and the thought of candling each one, losing heat, humidity, handling that many eggs, etc. makes me nervous that I might do more damage than good!
    (This question isn't only for chicken eggs, I also have an incubator going with pheasant and with guinea eggs. Just in case that makes any difference!)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Think about it like this - a broody hens gets off her eggs to eat, dust bathe, poo etc almost every day. It's not a problem, and actually quite natural for eggs to cool for short periods of time. The Brinsea incubators have a specific function to do precisely this (not that I've ever used it). I'd rather remove clear eggs than having them explode - that would not be amusing.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

You don't HAVE to candle your eggs... I candle because it fascinates me to see how they are developing. I'd also rather get the dead or non-developed eggs out of the incubator or nest rather than take a chance on one contaminating the whole bunch. But this is your hatch, and you can manage it in the way you're most comfortable.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Is it necessary, no. Can it be beneficial, yes. Especially if you are new to hatching and trying to figure out what humidity works best, using the air cells as a guide. However, you don't have to candle all the eggs in one setting. You can candle 5-10 eggs one night, and another group another night, just to gage growth and air cell development. I personally like candling. But, if handling eggs makes you nervous, you won't get the same thrill some of us do by seeing the development. Do what's comfortable for you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by