Is it okay to do this?

newbie32

Songster
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Low Desert, CA
I want to let my chickens out of the run but I have a dog and he has poo all over the yard. I will not make a dog run. Is it okay for my chickens-and my dog-to be around each others poo? Dogs will eat other dogs poo, will they eat my chicken poo? Will my chickens eat my dog poo?

My dogs act as if chicken poop is the BEST thing on earth!! Its so gross! I am always yelling at them, "Norman, stop that!!" One of my dogs has a very sensitive stomach, have to buy him special food...chicken poop doesn't seem to bother him..go figure!!!
As for my chickens, I have never seen them even look at the dogs poop!

My birds will eat almost anything even dog poo. I keep my dogs in a large fenced area,when I do let them in the chicken yard they don't eat the poo but love to roll in it.I don't let the chickens in the dog run because I don't want to eat eggs from birds that eat poo.
sickbyc.gif

My dog eats the chicken poo but the chickens have no interest In his poo.

Last edited:
So I should try to see if they eat each others poo. Could I train my dog not to eat their poo but verbal commands? Anyone do this before?

I would try, but I had no luck with my dog. I just end up doing a yard sweep for poo twice a day to minimize it.

So I should not let my chickens out then. My dog needs the yard more than the chickens do
hit.gif

I dont understand? How much poop is in your yard? Maybe you should clean it up for sanitary reasons. For decades chickens have been let to free range on farms. Farms with dogs, cats, goats, sheep, cows, horses, etc..and they all poop. I have never heard of a flock of chickens making a bee line for poop and only poop?!
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom