1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it okay to move chicks outside at 2 or 3 weeks with a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by georgialee, Apr 18, 2009.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    The title says it all, really. We're doing a shed-type coop so we can close the doors tight and just leave the windows for ventilation.

2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    That is what I'm planning on doing as soon as the coop is done. I think as long as the coop is warm enough and there is enough room that they will be ok.

3. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    We are currently trying to finish our coop before next weekend. My chicks will be 3 weeks old this week and their brooder is on our heated game room. My son is having his b-day party out there next weekend and has asked for the chicks to be somewhere else. So we are going to get them moved out to the coop with heat lamps within the next couple of days.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I hope so! That is our tentative plan,too. It would be easier to plan if the stupid weather would make up it's mind! Scattering of snow flurries yesterday, and might be in the 80's in a few days.Ugh![​IMG]

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm glad to hear it's okay b/c I just don't have enough room unless I put them in the garage... but that would be the same temp as the coop anyway. Plus, I'm sure they'll love having tons of space!

6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I just put out 6 week olds and 3 week olds in their coop with a heat lamp. I shut the coop up for 3 days with them inside only to open to change food and water. Their first day out was yesterday and they loved it and everyone went back to the coop when i started getting dusk. I still locked them in tight and opened at 6am but they are doing fine so far. I have never kept chicks longer then 6 weeks in a brooder.

7. undermywings

undermywings chicken chaser

Mar 29, 2009
    California high desert
    We just put our 3 week old chicks in the 'old shed turned chicken coop' 4 days ago after fixing it with a heat lamp and putting in a chicken door. It got down in the 20's at night a couple of times, then heated up to the 70's during the day. They know how to regulate their temperature by getting closer or further from the heat lamp.
    They LOVED it!!!
    We let them out a little several times a day for free range fun and they go in and out under our watchful eye. Everyone had a dirtbath and it was the funniest thing to watch.
    Everyone is fussing over them so there are many babysitters.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by