Is it okay to put this hatchling in the brooder now?

Brandon96

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2021
(made a thread about this in the other forum, but it didn't get any attention...)

So this little pekin duckling just hatched yesterday, roughly around 9:30 am. I just took this video of it a few minutes ago. I was wondering if it's okay to go put it in the brooder we have set up, which has both a heat lamp and also a heating pad beneath. Or should I wait a little longer? It looks like the bottom half has dried up a bit while the top half is still a little wet.

This is what the brooder/container looks like, btw:

bwcvQTd.jpeg

(made a thread about this in the other forum, but it didn't get any attention...)

So this little pekin duckling just hatched yesterday, roughly around 9:30 am. I just took this video of it a few minutes ago. I was wondering if it's okay to go put it in the brooder we have set up, which has both a heat lamp and also a heating pad beneath. Or should I wait a little longer? It looks like the bottom half has dried up a bit while the top half is still a little wet.

This is what the brooder/container looks like, btw:

bwcvQTd.jpeg
I'd put him in the brooder. Where are his hatch mates? He's not all by himself is he?

I'd put him in the brooder. Where are his hatch mates? He's not all by himself is he?

I only had one egg. I just found it by a park where a bunch of Pekin Ducks live and we got an incubator for it.

We do, however, also have this month old muscovy duckling we rescued some weeks ago, so it's not going to be totally alone (though we're gonna keep them seperate for a bit, just to get them slowly used to each other).

I only had one egg. I just found it by a park where a bunch of Pekin Ducks live and we got an incubator for it.

We do, however, also have this month old muscovy duckling we rescued some weeks ago, so it's not going to be totally alone (though we're gonna keep them seperate for a bit, just to get them slowly used to each other).
Can you brood the hatchling in a secure area with the duckling so they can see each other but not touch? That would be ideal.

Keep in mind Muscovy ducks are a different subspecies than mallard derived ducks like Pekins. If you are planning on keeping them it would be best to get 1 more mallard derived duck and 1 more muscovy so yours can each have a friend of their own kind. They don't speak the same language as eachother.

Back
Top Bottom