Is it possible, broody already?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scrambledmess, Aug 29, 2010.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I got my chicks at Easter this spring. I have one who is sitting on a group of eggs and won't get off or let others in. Isn't that a bit young to be broody?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I understand they can go broody that young. How long has she been on the nest? Is she there at night?

I only get chickens that "play" broody. They peck, screech, puff up, but at night they are back on the roost.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Nope, if they can lay, they can brood [​IMG] What breed is she?

4. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    No idea the breed. I got her from TSC. She is mostly white with some brown at the end of a few feathers. She is normally there in the evening right when a few of the others are coming in to roost. I will check tonight again to see. She really puffed up at me this morning. It has been 3 days.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi, It may be useful to lift her (watch out for pecking!) and take a look at her breast/belly. Broody hens moult and/or pull out these feathers.....may be another clue?

Sandie

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    If she's broody and not ill you should also start seeing the dreaded brood poo--They only deficate once every day or two when they're sitting on a nest so it's very large, very smelly, and very distinctive. I have an EE pullet a week or so younger that just started laying and she's already showing signs of going broody too so it's entirely possible.

7. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I have a Mottled Java hen about 20 weeks old and just started laying about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday she stayed on the nest for about 6 hrs. all puffed up and I debated whether to let her continue, but decided that since I have have 24-2 wk olds already I'd better throw her off. I thought she was pretty young too, but apparently not.

8. Aaronblackman

Aaronblackman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    I have a light sussex hen, she's my only LS, she was two years old this easter, and she has gone broody and successfully hatched 6 times, she is the best Mum i have ever had... bar my own of course :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by