Is it possible, broody already?

scrambledmess

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
NW Ohio
I got my chicks at Easter this spring. I have one who is sitting on a group of eggs and won't get off or let others in. Isn't that a bit young to be broody?

I understand they can go broody that young. How long has she been on the nest? Is she there at night?

I only get chickens that "play" broody. They peck, screech, puff up, but at night they are back on the roost.

Nope, if they can lay, they can brood
tongue.png
What breed is she?

No idea the breed. I got her from TSC. She is mostly white with some brown at the end of a few feathers. She is normally there in the evening right when a few of the others are coming in to roost. I will check tonight again to see. She really puffed up at me this morning. It has been 3 days.

Hi, It may be useful to lift her (watch out for pecking!) and take a look at her breast/belly. Broody hens moult and/or pull out these feathers.....may be another clue?

Sandie

If she's broody and not ill you should also start seeing the dreaded brood poo--They only deficate once every day or two when they're sitting on a nest so it's very large, very smelly, and very distinctive. I have an EE pullet a week or so younger that just started laying and she's already showing signs of going broody too so it's entirely possible.

I have a Mottled Java hen about 20 weeks old and just started laying about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday she stayed on the nest for about 6 hrs. all puffed up and I debated whether to let her continue, but decided that since I have have 24-2 wk olds already I'd better throw her off. I thought she was pretty young too, but apparently not.

I have a light sussex hen, she's my only LS, she was two years old this easter, and she has gone broody and successfully hatched 6 times, she is the best Mum i have ever had... bar my own of course :p

Back
Top Bottom