Is it possible for a 24 week old to go broody? HELP!

ZaneyMama

Songster
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
I went on a 3-day trip and had other people caring for my chickens.

I came back yesterday evening and my 24-week old EE is not leaving the nesting box! She hasn't left the nesting box since this morning (10 hours) as far as I can tell! Last night, I had to take her out of the nesting box and place her on the roost after dark when I went to close up the coop, which is not typical for her. She has been laying me a blue/green egg every day or so since she started laying 2 weeks ago, but hasn't laid yesterday or today.

Is something wrong with her?

Thanks!

I'm not real sure about EEs (and I suppose it would depend on what they are crossed with) but I have a friend who has a 24 week old frizzle bantam that is hatching babies today! So she's been setting for 3 weeks!

Sooooo... it CAN happen.

It really seems like she's broody. I took her out to get her to drink or eat and she just jumped right back into the nesting box. I don't have a rooster or any eggs to hatch, so what should I do?

Hi Zaney, if the hen is sleeping in the nest box you can bet she's broody. If you want her to hatch chicks you can get some fertile eggs on craigslist, ebay or here on byc in the chicken hatching eggs for sale page. If you don't want chicks you may need to break her of her broodiness which I have never done. Do a search about breaking broodies here on byc and you will find plenty of info. Let us know what you do. I have a broody sitting on some lavender orpington eggs right now. She's due to hatch august11 or so.

If I do want her to hatch chicks, how do I go about that? Do I need to separate her from the rest of the girls? Do I need to put her into a different enclosure?

Just give her the eggs and let her set, the others will sometimes help babysit the eggs and might even add to her collection so watch for that too, make sure you mark the fertile eggs with a pencil. (she will not care;))I have two broody hens one one egg right now

Personally I would separate her off as you do not want other hens adding to her stash and there won't be any interference.

A Brahma hen of mine became broody as soon as she came into lay and successfully hatched 3 chicks, so young birds can be successful,

Good Luck,

Sandie

If you choose to set her up, make sure you mark the eggs with a regular pencil and not a crayon with solvents.

Okay, so what would I need to set her up? I have one run and a coop with 3 nesting boxes. Do I have to build another temporary coop and run for her and the chicks?

Thanks,
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom