Is it possible for a chicken to get Marek's if they haven't come in contact with other chickens?

ChickenPeep

Faith & Feathers
11 Years
May 1, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Is it possible for a chicken to get Marek's disease if they haven't come in contact with other chickens? My hen is almost 4 years old. 3 years ago I took her to the local fair. Before you can enter a chicken at the fair they have to do a blood test which I think tests for Marek's. Other that that, this hen has never been in contact with chickens other than her own flock. Today I noticed that she isn't doing well, and I am praying that she is egg bound instead of having Marek's. Is it possible for her to get Marek's if she's never had contact with other chickens except for once several years ago?

Fairs/poultry shows need paperwork for Pullorum testing and sometimes Avian Influenza depending on the state and they don't test for mareks (kinda dumb cause the 1-2 test required it's very rare in the U.S. while mareks isn't). 3 years is long time with contact with other chickens so it probably isn't mareks. Heard rumors about wild birds spreading diseases, never happed to me but the rumors are out there.

Yes its possible because mareks can travel miles in the wind and is a airborne disease. So mareks can litterly blow in..it's everywhere. Our best defense is to vaccinate our flocks.

Back
Top Bottom