Is it possible for a hen to lay 2 eggs in 1 day?

Mom2Cool

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Yesterday I got 5 eggs from 5 hens but they all looked to be from the buff orpingtons hens which I have 4 of. My black austrolorp lays a brown egg that is lighter than the BO's & none of them seemed to be hers. Is it possible that one of the BO's could have laid more than 1 egg? I also thought it might be possible that hubby missed 1 egg the day before but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Everyonce in a while I'll get an extra egg. But I'm thinking it was laid late in the evening and then another one later the next day. Then after that I'll be short an egg.

Yes it's possible for one hen to lay 2 eggs. But with my Barred rock hens and buff orps they lay a variety of shades of light browns, so maybe your black austrolorp layed a different shade of egg perhaps. Just idea! Good luck!

I think I may be having a similar issue with one of mine... I dont know if it is one or two laying! My moms RIR lays 2 eggs sometimes when she is under stress ( her two friends were taken by a possume on night and her egg laying was off for a while).

Totally possible... but it's also possible that the BA laid a dark egg for a change, too.
smile.png

Well I think these girls should have to stamp their eggs so we know who did what, just like the union lable.
gig.gif

The girls have all been playing musical boxes ever since 2 had gone broody, I'd moved one out to a bunny hutch with her eggs & now they're both done with their chicks & back to laying it's like they're all laying claims to ALL the boxes. The black Austrolorp lays a light brown egg that is just always slightly off from even a light brown egg of the BO's I know it sounds werid but hers are just always slightly different & really in the shape as well. But I'd thought yesterday that she must have just laid a darker brown egg until today when I got a trade mark egg of hers that was *huge* & it was such a drastic shape it wouldn't set up in the carton.... I do think they've all been sort of "off" just because harmones maybe be running high because of the 2 first going broody & now coming back from it & some had those "specail accomidations" etc. LOL I suppose it could be a change in the BA egg coloring it certainly was differnt today in the way of shape.

Anyway thanks all I just needed to share these thoughts etc.

Back
Top Bottom