Is it possible for a male duck to fall in love with a hen?? eeekkk!

Totes Quackers

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Melbourne
love.gif
I have a 15 week old male khaki campbell... he was initially hand raised indoors, he now lives with 6 hens and 2 dogs.. At first he would only ever hang out with the dogs but now he seems to prefer the company of the hens. I have a mixed lots of hens, all different! The duck seems particulary fond of one of the hens who is similar colouring to him. He will only follow this one hen and seems to be in love
droolin.gif

The hens are friendly towards him and I've had to no real fighting issues, could the duck just be happy with his 'flock' and think this one hen in particular is more like him then the others?

If the love turns into lust, there could be problems. The reproductive tract of chickens is not designed for the insertion of "objects." Drakes have penises.

ep.gif
This could be a very interesting situation!

I only have females that I know of, but my ducks sticks pretty close to her "hen sisters". I figured since they were raised together they all just have identity disorders. They all think they are Chiduckens!!
lau.gif

I have the same problem, my rouen drake lost his wife and now is in love with one of the chickens. He is only interested in one hen and hangs out with her all day. In the morning he is the first one out of the coop and then he waits for her and she is always the last one out, trying to avoid her stalker. He mates with her every morning and sometimes the other hens attack him, grab his wings and try to pull him off that poor hen. She seems fine and since they are about the same size I don't worry about it.
big_smile.png

Oh yes this can happen I have a white call drake called Lance (long story) and he is totally in love with my hen ,he was in love with a cream legbar and he followed her everywhere 24 hours a day ,when she went in to lay he sat under the nest box and waited for her even if it took 2 hours ,then sadly the legbar was killed when a cage fell on top of her
sad.png
and he lost the plot ,he called for her for three days solid and it broke my heart so I tried to get another legbar for him ,but by the time I found one he had fallen for my black rock,males are so fickle no matter what bred they are
lau.gif
,so now he follows the black rock around even though i have 11 more ducks (havent updated my profile )

Last edited:
My main runner drake goes at his chickens all the time. I couldn't show my Australorps at the fair last year because he had pulled out their head feathers attemting to create "chucks" or "dickens".
He has a bit of a reputation among other farm bird people and I can't get rid of him.

I am having the same problem. My male duck it's been chasing one of my hens. Her neck is all bold because he treats her like a female duck...you know...
She is so afraid she stays up in her nest and will not go down the coop to eat or even to poop!!!
How can I fix this mess???

I am having the same problem. My male duck it's been chasing one of my hens. Her neck is all bold because he treats her like a female duck...you know...
She is so afraid she stays up in her nest and will not go down the coop to eat or even to poop!!!
How can I fix this mess???
The only way to "fix" the issue is to separate the drake from the chicken hen and Ideally keep him with 2 or more female ducks.

My girl JoJo flirts with all of us and the dogs, chickens and probably the deer that show up to feed just outside the fence.
When I had a drake, he bred the girl and the chickens. They are sent a complaint in to headquarters and the drake was fired from his job.
He was a tasty birthday meal.

Boys are rough on any girl in their sights. Just saying!

Back
Top Bottom