Is it possible for a pullet who never laid an egg be suffering from Internal Laying?

So she didn't make it. :-(

I know chickens can die randomly but usually I've seen it in older hens where cancer or a tumor or whatever is more understandable.
I'm just shocked because she was so young.

For future reference, can I ask a couple questions to any experts out there on internal laying/EYP/egg binding, etc. I couldn't find these specific answers in my searches

If a hen is suffering from being egg bound, it will kill her in a day or two without treatment, correct?
I had one that lingered for months. That one had a deformed vent, so I knew she would never be able to pass an egg.

If a hen is suffering from internal laying, it could take weeks to slowly kill her, correct?
Again, it can take months.

Are internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis the same thing?
Internal laying can cause it.
I imagine it took quite a while for this to happen
P1110905.jpg

P1110910.jpg

P1110911.jpg

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...uctive_system/egg_peritonitis_in_poultry.html
Egg peritonitis is characterized by fibrin or albumen-like material with a cooked appearance among the abdominal viscera. It is a common cause of sporadic death in layers or breeder hens, but in some flocks may become the major cause of death before or after reaching peak production and give the appearance of a contagious disease. It is diagnosed at necropsy. Peritonitis follows reverse movement of albumen and Escherichia coli bacteria from the oviduct into the abdomen. If the incidence is high, culture should be done to differentiate between Pasteurella (fowl cholera) or Salmonella infection. Antibiotic treatment of peritonitis caused by E coli infections is usually ineffective. Management of body weight and uniformity, reproductive development (ovary follicle growth and maturation), and drinking water sanitation are the best preventive strategies.
When hens have too many large ovarian follicles, a problem described as erratic oviposition and defective egg syndrome (EODES) is seen in broiler breeders. This condition is accompanied by a high incidence of double-yolked eggs, prolapses of the oviduct, internal ovulation, and/or internal laying that often results in egg peritonitis and mortality. EODES is prevented by avoiding light stimulation of underweight pullets too early and by following guidelines for body weight and uniformity, and lighting recommendations for each breeder strain. Overweight hens may also have a higher incidence of erratic ovulations and mortality associated with egg peritonitis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/907586?dopt=Abstract
Ruptured-yolk peritonitis and organochlorine residues in a royal tern.

Blus LJ, Locke LN, Stafford CJ.
Abstract

Ruptured-yolk peritonitis was responsible for the death of a royal tern. Lodgment of eggs in the oviduct was probably due to reverse peristalsis brought about by breakage of the thin-shelled eggs and secondary bacterial infection. The thin shells were apparently not related to the low levels of DDE and other organochlorine pollutants found in tissues and egg contents.

-Kathy

Quote:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...uctive_system/egg_peritonitis_in_poultry.html
Egg peritonitis is characterized by fibrin or albumen-like material with a cooked appearance among the abdominal viscera. It is a common cause of sporadic death in layers or breeder hens, but in some flocks may become the major cause of death before or after reaching peak production and give the appearance of a contagious disease. It is diagnosed at necropsy. Peritonitis follows reverse movement of albumen and Escherichia coli bacteria from the oviduct into the abdomen. If the incidence is high, culture should be done to differentiate between Pasteurella (fowl cholera) or Salmonella infection. Antibiotic treatment of peritonitis caused by E coli infections is usually ineffective. Management of body weight and uniformity, reproductive development (ovary follicle growth and maturation), and drinking water sanitation are the best preventive strategies.
When hens have too many large ovarian follicles, a problem described as erratic oviposition and defective egg syndrome (EODES) is seen in broiler breeders. This condition is accompanied by a high incidence of double-yolked eggs, prolapses of the oviduct, internal ovulation, and/or internal laying that often results in egg peritonitis and mortality. EODES is prevented by avoiding light stimulation of underweight pullets too early and by following guidelines for body weight and uniformity, and lighting recommendations for each breeder strain. Overweight hens may also have a higher incidence of erratic ovulations and mortality associated with egg peritonitis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/907586?dopt=Abstract
Ruptured-yolk peritonitis and organochlorine residues in a royal tern.

Blus LJ, Locke LN, Stafford CJ.
Abstract

Ruptured-yolk peritonitis was responsible for the death of a royal tern. Lodgment of eggs in the oviduct was probably due to reverse peristalsis brought about by breakage of the thin-shelled eggs and secondary bacterial infection. The thin shells were apparently not related to the low levels of DDE and other organochlorine pollutants found in tissues and egg contents.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom