Is it Possible for Emotional Stress to Make You Ill?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rodriguezpoultry, Nov 18, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I've noticed that I've been feeling run down lately. I've not changed diet since the whole horse ordeal began, but have started taking vitamins, drinking more milk, more water, less pop, etc.

Is there any way that emotional stress can cause a drop in immune response?

We did studies where physical stress (increased heat, humidity, poor lighting, poor feed, etc.) would affect birds conversion ratios and made them more susceptible to illness, but was wondering if it is at all possible for emotional stress to do the same?

I'm running a fever again, am not hungry and am dying of thirst. I can't understand how or why this keeps happening, but it always seems to trace back to Sams Club. I didn't even try samples this time!

If you can help me find scientific documents that I could look at later to confirm. I'm never this sick this often. I'm a really healthy person. I'm still dropping weight like crazy though (not like I don't need to! [​IMG] ) and I can't understand why.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:yuppers..........

and a stroke or 3 according to my cardio guy [​IMG]

3. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Stress absolutely weakens your immune system...just like in your animals. Stress them out and they have a greater chance of getting sick.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Most definitely, it makes it harder for your body to fight things off.

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Yes, it weakens your immune system, and causes fatigue. which weakens you further!

6. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Yes, emotional stress can make you very sick. My husband had the shingles ones due to lots of stress. The doctor confirmed it, but I do not have any studies for you to read up on right now.
    However, it sounds that you really need a physical exam at your doctor's office ASAP. I hope that you are feeling better soon and that all the stress will be gone soon as well.

7. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    YES. It is also possible to keep yourself from getting sick... Mind over matter - stress can cause high blood pressure along with headaches, nausea, and you don't sleep as well when you're stressed, which obviously leads to the tired worn out feeling. It's easy for an outsider to tell you to "breathe deep" and calm down, but when it's you who's stressed, sometimes that's just not totally possible. Do what you can for yourself, in order to try and stay healthy [​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

YES it can and will make you sick, or at least make you get sick easier.

I would start taking Emergen-C vitamin/mineral supplements, just like you would give your birds extra vitamins. There's something "magic" about the Emergen-C fizzy stuff. Tastes terrible, but seems to cure anything that ails you. Fortunately it's almost impossible to OD on vitamin C --- you'll get the runs way before you do any lasting damage. [​IMG]

Stress makes me break out in eczema somethin awful, and it takes forever to get rid of! I haven't had a breakout since I discovered Emergen-C and Dermarest lotion though.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Stress can also raise the blood sugar, even in non-diabetics, which would explain the extreme thirst. I'm a type 1 diabetic and when I get really stressed, my liver releases glucose and my blood sugar slowly goes up. That always makes me feel like crud!

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    That's the weird thing though. My family is all diabetic except for my dad. I was tested recently and no issues with my blood sugar other than it "may" be a little low. If I eat something, I feel a billion times better. But when I'm sick or starting to feel that way...I don't want to eat anything and my blood sugar just crashes. That's when I have to start drinking juices to feel better.

I don't have the high blood pressure that runs in the family either! lol I'm a genetic mess-up.

Thanks for your replies and everything. I will have to try the Emergen-C as apparently trying to be sanitary is just not working. Maybe I should just keep the heck away from Sams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by