is it possible for hens to never lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stephanie1992, Sep 26, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a year old hen or pullet, never have got an egg from her yet, and im positive its a girl, she dnt crow, and roo mates with hur, soo idk what the proble is. is she just a late layer?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Are you sure of her age? Maybe she's an old hen. I would imagine that there are definitely some hens that, for whatever reason, don't ever lay. Maybe she has reproductive issues. She could probably be sterile.

But, does she get to free range? Maybe she has a secret spot where she lays her eggs, and you just haven't found it.

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

ya im sure her age, i hatched her from an egg, cold she be sterile from being from so many differnt breeds? shes in a run and coop, coyotes would get her if she free ranged

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Sterility would actually be less likely in a "mutt", they tend to be pretty robust. She may be late, or she may truly have reproductive issues.

Note that cross-bred--what she is--is not the same as a "hybrid" or cross between two species, like a mule. Those often are sterile. But all chickens are the same species, so you don't get chicken "mules" just by mixing them around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by