Is it possible my girls will wait for spring?

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
My older girls are still laying despite the colder weather and the less daylight. My JG is molting so she's stopped laying, which I am not surprised about, she looks hideous. Now my younger girls are 25 weeks and despite the right coloring and squatting they aren't laying. Is it possible they may just hold over until spring? Or, will they start even though it's colder. My oldest and most red and developed is a 25 week old RIR (of the younger set).

I'm having the same problem...from what I've read on, yes, it is possible that we may both be waiting until spring
sad.png

I would think so. Laying always slows down over the winter, except with my RSLs they're like little egg machines
lol.png

We always buy ours in June - September so when they start laying we'll be in the middle of summer so they won't have any problems
smile.png

Oh bummer! I figured this was probably the case as my RIR has looked ready and been squatting for a month already. Yeesh!

I don't know......I just started getting my first eggs a couple of months ago from chicks I bought last Easter. I seem to be getting more as the weeks go on. This week alone I had 3 eggs, which I had gotten before, then I got 4 eggs, and yesterday I got 5! Previous to this I had not gotten 4 or 5 on the same day. I think more of mine are beginning to lay.
celebrate.gif
I did put light in on a timer am and pm to encourage them.

Mine are also starting to lay good. What I means by that is they're laying everyday now. I hope they don't stop for the winter.

Last year, when mine were new layers, they laid regularly all through the winter, with no light supplement. I believe this is common their first year. Of course, they started in August, I think. But they might surprise you and begin laying soon.

Back
Top Bottom