Is it possible that 8 week olds will never accept a new addition?

DottieMarie

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
South East MI
I have 15 pullets and am trying to add a silkie roo (same age) but 6 days later and I still have one or two that dive bomb him as soon as I put him with them. What can I do or is it possible it may never work?

I'm guessing that you have already quarantined the new bird to make sure it is healthy before adding it to your flock.

I can't tell from your post, but it sounds like you are removing the bird every day. You have to let them work out their pecking order to include the new bird. That won't happen if you are removing it.

Add the bird at night and leave it. Watch for severe injuries. It should work. It might not.

I put a 4 x 4 covered pen inside the coop so they can all be together but when I put them outside, I try putting him with them and he gets attacked. No, I didn't quarentine him, got him from a fellow BYC member and honestly, just didn't do it. It's been a week today.

Ok then....

How long did you keep them "separate but in the same place"? You would want to do that for at least a week without letting him out of the crate.

After that, try letting the new bird out first to forage. Or carry the new bird out to forage. Then release the rest of the flock. They might think he just got out the door faster than they did and leave him alone.

Last edited:
AHHH, that's what I didn't do. And I like the idea of putting him outside first and letting them enter his area (or so they'll think). But won't he be lonely being in the seperated area for a week? He'll see them all day but no contact.

If he is where the rest of the flock has access but can't hurt him, he should be fine. In my experience, the rest of the flock will come check him out - probably stand there for hours staring at him.....
smile.png

Quote:
Let me get this straight . You have 15 pullets and you trying to add a rooster to that flock ? And they all the same age , except rooster is a silkie . Are they alot larger breed ? OR are they ALL silkies ? Put him in a cage where they can ALL see each other and get accustomed to him being around them .

IF they are ALL silkies , LEAVE this rooster with the pullets and let them adjust . TAKING him in and out WILL NOT WORK . LEAVE HIM IN THE RUN/COOP with them . THEY will adjust .

Last edited:
All the girls are larger breeds (RIR, Buff Orps and Barred Rocks) and he's a bantam Silkie. Already he (Lyle) is much smaller then and they act like they hate him. I put them outside today in an enclosed area and he ended up hiding under the ramp to the coop. I have him in a 4x4 wire pen inside the coop so they see him all the time. I only try actually putting him with them once every few days but so far (9 days) it hasn't improved.
:mad:

Back
Top Bottom