Is it possible to buy sexed Favorelles chicks?

Did the feed store list them as sexed or straight run? If SR, unfortunately they should've explained that that means both genders are in the bin - and now you know so you won't make that mistake again. If sexed, then either the hatchery screwed up and sent SR or other people might've picked out all the pullets first.

Personally I'd rather get them from a feed store because you stand a slightly better chance of getting all pullets (from a pullet bin) if you can look at their behavior and specify which birds you do/don't want the employees to grab. Like I now specifically look for chicks that run away, that don't try and approach or stand up against the employee's hand, as those could be indicative of a male.

Alternatively, especially with Salmon Faverolles, if you opt for started pullets instead of chicks, it's pretty obvious by around 4 weeks if they're male or female in most cases as their feathering is very different.

Can you run electricity out to the coop? I'd brood outside if you can set up for it.
I don’t know that I knew enough to see the difference between SR or sexed now that you mention it 😬 would a broody hen take day old shipped chicks? That’s be best case scenario lol. She’s ALWAYS broody. Otherwise I can probably keep them outside somehow but more than likely in the garage 😬

I don’t know that I knew enough to see the difference between SR or sexed now that you mention it 😬
You'd have to go by what the store labels the bin. I think with the exception of meat birds it will always specify sexed pullets (which should be roughly 90% female) or SR (50/50 male/female). Bantams are almost always SR.
would a broody hen take day old shipped chicks? That’s be best case scenario lol. She’s ALWAYS broody. Otherwise I can probably keep them outside somehow but more than likely in the garage 😬
A broody that's been sitting long enough might take young chicks. But always be prepared to brood yourself anyhow, just in case she doesn't accept them or does a poor job mothering them.

That’s good to hear. I can’t recall how long we had to keep our chicks inside on heat. We got them in the springtime a couple years ago. If I order for a delivery in June when would they be able to be outside? We are in the northeast.
We always get May/June chicks in NY, and they are outside around 4 weeks. One especially warm summer we had the heat plate turned off by week 3 since they were all sleeping outside of it! 😂

Back
Top Bottom