Is it possible to buy sexed Favorelles chicks?

Esrun

Songster
Jan 29, 2024
Hi. We are still pretty new chicken owners. We have had terrible luck with roosters. We are not allowed to have a rooster, and we have a young child who gets attached to the chicks when we have gotten them in the past. Leading to lots of tears when we rehome the Roos. We would like to get chicks this summer to expand our small flock, but would like to have them sexed before we get them. Is this a possibility with this breed? I was leaning toward this breed because we have three bantams and I understand the Favorelles are quite docile. Open to other breeds that are very docile and do well in confinement bc we cannot free range regularly. If this is possible where is a good place to look? We are in the northeast. Thanks!

Yes, there's a few hatcheries that sex many breeds of chicken. Meyer's Hatchery is one that I like very much.

Sexing isn't 100% accurate anywhere, there's always a small margin of error.

DNA sexing method is the only accurate way.

You can order from a mail-order hatchery. Just females! I believe Cackle, McMurray, Ideal, and Meyer carry them. There are shipping requirements, how many are you looking to get?

Other breeds known to be docile are Cochins, Sussex, & Orpingtons.

McMurray hatchery is another good one. They carry faverolles along with many other breeds. Most standard sized birds can be sexed. Straight run means they are NOT sexed. Other gentle breeds (reputation for being gentle): jersey giants, brahmas (both are larger than most and pretty laid back), orpingtons, australorps.

You can order from a mail-order hatchery. Just females! I believe Cackle, McMurray, Ideal, and Meyer carry them. There are shipping requirements, how many are you looking to get?

Other breeds known to be docile are Cochins, Sussex, & Orpingtons.
Six with the hope that four will definitely be female.

I was looking at Orpingtons but worried they may be too big in with the bantams. Could they work? I have 2 silkies and a sebright. The sebright and one silkie have dominant personalities but one of the silkies is super timid and I don’t want her to get hurt. I realize there’s a risk and we have a plan if it doesn’t work out.

Yes, there's a few hatcheries that sex many breeds of chicken. Meyer's Hatchery is one that I like very much.

Sexing isn't 100% accurate anywhere, there's always a small margin of error.

DNA sexing method is the only accurate way.
Thanks! We’ve dna tested all of our chicks so far bc I didn’t know you could buy them sexed until after the fact. Our first six chicks we got from the feed store and FOUR were roosters 🤦🏻‍♀️

Six with the hope that four will definitely be female.
Hatcheries usually don’t mess up that much. I’ve ordered about 100 chicks over the past few years, and we’ve been lucky that all were females. Just be sure to specify all pullets.
I was looking at Orpingtons but worried they may be too big in with the bantams. Could they work? I have 2 silkies and a sebright. The sebright and one silkie have dominant personalities but one of the silkies is super timid and I don’t want her to get hurt. I realize there’s a risk and we have a plan if it doesn’t work out.
There are many people who keep standard chickens with bantams. In this case it should be easier because your bantams are the established flock and the bigger chicks are coming in new. No guarantees (even with adding bantams), but there are bunches of keepers on here that have larger chickens with bantams. Enough space in the outside area/run will especially help this.

Hatcheries usually don’t mess up that much. I’ve ordered about 100 chicks over the past few years, and we’ve been lucky that all were females. Just be sure to specify all pullets.

There are many people who keep standard chickens with bantams. In this case it should be easier because your bantams are the established flock and the bigger chicks are coming in new. No guarantees (even with adding bantams), but there are bunches of keepers on here that have larger chickens with bantams. Enough space in the outside area/run will especially help this.
That’s good to hear. I can’t recall how long we had to keep our chicks inside on heat. We got them in the springtime a couple years ago. If I order for a delivery in June when would they be able to be outside? We are in the northeast.

I didn’t know you could buy them sexed until after the fact. Our first six chicks we got from the feed store and FOUR were roosters 🤦🏻‍♀️
Did the feed store list them as sexed or straight run? If SR, unfortunately they should've explained that that means both genders are in the bin - and now you know so you won't make that mistake again. If sexed, then either the hatchery screwed up and sent SR or other people might've picked out all the pullets first.

Personally I'd rather get them from a feed store because you stand a slightly better chance of getting all pullets (from a pullet bin) if you can look at their behavior and specify which birds you do/don't want the employees to grab. Like I now specifically look for chicks that run away, that don't try and approach or stand up against the employee's hand, as those could be indicative of a male.

Alternatively, especially with Salmon Faverolles, if you opt for started pullets instead of chicks, it's pretty obvious by around 4 weeks if they're male or female in most cases as their feathering is very different.
If I order for a delivery in June when would they be able to be outside? We are in the northeast.
Can you run electricity out to the coop? I'd brood outside if you can set up for it.

Back
Top Bottom