Is it possible to die from molt?

He was a very handsome boy
hugs.gif
I don;t know about it being genetic. Mabye the poor circulation was partly to blame for the frostbite setting in?

It is unusual for a winter molt, but not unheard of. I am wondering if his molt may have been an unnatural molt, though. If birds lose more than 25-35% of their body weight in a short time they can go into a forced molt. Had he lost a good deal of weight recently?

I am sorry for your loss, I had a little hen go into molt last Oct. she wasn't eating good and had lost alot of her feathers, when she stopped pigging out on mealworms I stepped in. Brought her into the house made sure there was no lice or mites causing the problem, started feeding her extra protein and generally just babying her. She was in about 4 days looked like she was feeling better, eating etc. so let her back out with the flock, next thing I know shes gone.. Sometimes no matter what we do it just isn't enough, and probably by the time we see that something isn't right they have been dealing with it for quite a while. He sure was a handsome fellow.
hugs.gif

Thanks so much everyone!

CMV: He started the molt in January. He was still nice and plump when it started. He's been feeling lighter the last week or so when I lift him to the roost at night. I wanted him to have a warm spot to sleep though.....so I put him up there every night.

One more picture of him from summer...RIP Mr Copper!
DSC_0023.jpg

Thinking back, I remember thinking that one of my Aussie hens was going to die in the fall during her molt. I didn't do anything about it...just rode it out...but it probably would have been a good idea to have increased her healthy intake (i.e. added a vitamin or something). Her comb got kind of limp & pale. Thank goodness it is perky & red again & she has all kinds of pretty fluffy feathers.

I am so sorry you lost your guy...he was a beut!
hugs.gif

First of all, molt happens when the bird reaches 18-20 months old, regardless of season. I have chickens molting at all times and seasons, not just October.

Secondly, molt depletes their systems in a big way. Crops may fail to work, they may lose vast amounts of weight, etc.

Same thing happened to in Januarey with one of my hens she was a freedom ranger I had kept from the spring to see how she would lay and plus she was super friendly..Didn't really lose a lot of feathers but after numerous inspections saw the new feathers coming in and major lack of appetite with watery stool. I syringe fed her for 3 weeks before losing her. During the time of syring feeding you would never tell she was sick she just did not have any interest in food..I tried everything to interest her with no luck. Maybe it was just the breed..

Back
Top Bottom