Is it possible to introduce 1 quail to a small flock?

Lilyofsalen

Songster
Jul 2, 2020
Hi,
So at this point I'm pretty sure that I have seven males and five females (so there will only be 6 left altogether when I cull the excess males). More are on the way from the incubator but that will be a while. I just happened to take a look on craigslist and saw a very pretty female scarlet Coturnix . . . Is it possible to integrate just one quail into a small flock? By the time it is done being quarantined there will only be 6 birds in an 80 square foot aviary. I would also keep it in a small animal crate inside the aviary so it will be seen at all times while quarantined. If that doesn't work, then maybe I could wait to introduce it with the soon to be quail hatchlings?

I would not. Unless it's a male being introduced to a group of only females, I've never had any success adding one or two to an established group without serious fighting

I would not. Unless it's a male being introduced to a group of only females, I've never had any success adding one or two to an established group without serious fighting

Does that apply as well to adding a female to a small group of only females?

Could I introduce it along with my hatch outs when they're ready? I'm also building another smaller quail pen. Maybe I could try to introduce while watching closely. If things don't go well I could move her with another hen for company to the small pen and then wait until the hatch outs are ready then reintroduce with the new hatchouts (so there's a good number of new birds).

Also, how do you introduce a single male to a group of only females?

Could I introduce it along with my hatch outs when they're ready? I'm also building another smaller quail pen. Maybe I could try to introduce while watching closely. If things don't go well I could move her with another hen for company to the small pen and then wait until the hatch outs are ready then reintroduce with the new hatchouts (so there's a good number of new birds).

Also, how do you introduce a single male to a group of only females?

The single male to females, you just throw him in and shut the door. He'll get to work and they'll usually let him rather easily.

Does that apply as well to adding a female to a small group of only females?

My females are always aggressive about their space. You can take them all and house them separately in cat carriers or other smaller set ups for a few days to 'reset them' and add new ones with them when you put them back, but I usually just don't add new females to established groups.

My quail must be really social then. :D
I have three generations in my aviary all living together. 2 hens from last year, 6 from my hatch in March and 6 hens from June. I let them get get to know each other by separating them with wire for about 2 weeks and then put them together in a neutral environment for a day. I've never had a problem with fighting or aggression. Even my old Berta is now happily living together with 3 young hens indoors since her mate died. :confused:

Hi,
So at this point I'm pretty sure that I have seven males and five females (so there will only be 6 left altogether when I cull the excess males). More are on the way from the incubator but that will be a while. I just happened to take a look on craigslist and saw a very pretty female scarlet Coturnix . . . Is it possible to integrate just one quail into a small flock? By the time it is done being quarantined there will only be 6 birds in an 80 square foot aviary. I would also keep it in a small animal crate inside the aviary so it will be seen at all times while quarantined. If that doesn't work, then maybe I could wait to introduce it with the soon to be quail hatchlings?
Yes it is possible t by ey are like any other flock and will except others

It all depends on the individual quails. Perhaps some people have particular aggressive quails. Most people have issues with over breeding with any less than four females per male, but I keep some of mine in pairs. In fact, I keep one female with two males and they all get along fine! There's always exceptions.

I've done it, and after a few fails, this is how I've been successful.

I put the new bird inside a tote inside the pen with the other birds. This allows them to see but not touch. I keep this setup for 5-7 days.

After the 5-7 days, I let the new bird loose in the pen. I watch carefully. Most of the birds will be fine with the new addition, but you may have a bully or two. As soon as I see who the bully(s) are, I put them in the tote for 1-3 days. When they get introduced back in, they are no longer so eager to pick on the new bird.

Back
Top Bottom