Is it possible to introduce a 1-7 day old to a 4 1/2 wk?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by adcockfarm, Jan 14, 2017.

1. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    We have two 4 1/2 wk chicks and we want to get a chick tomorrow. would the see and don't touch method work? also, it would be hard for the chick to see them due to the type of cage, but we could supervise them outside in a run. how old will the chick have to be? thanks!

2. frenchiegirl21

frenchiegirl21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    South Central Texas
    Hello!

It is possible, but I personally would not introduce them until the younger chick is larger and more able to defend itself. I would also introduce 2 or more chicks to an established group because that makes it harder for the older birds to pick just one target for their bullying. I think the see-but-don't-touch method would work. You would just have to watch them once they are introduced to make sure the older chicks are not beating up the younger ones too badly. If done correctly it could work, but I really wouldn't introduce new birds to a flock unless they were very close in size. I typically don't introduce my younger birds into my main flock until they are 3-4 months old.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Ditto @frenchiegirl21, see don't touch method @very early on works great, makes it easier to combine them later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by