Is it possible to introduce bantams with standard chickens?

Nadia_mendoza

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
I have a very mixed flock with 4 6 months old pullets and 4 5 months old pullets (8 chickens). One of the 5 months old is a bantam (Easter Egger) and is ok with the flock since she was raised with 3 standard size ones and got introduced to the bigger ones together. She gets pecked at a bit by my 2 welsummers, which are 6 months old - but she hides well behind her 3 friends of her same age. All and all the 8 of them are great together.
they are in a 10x20 predator safe run. Inside the run I have a small coop with a mini run which is where they go in at night and are closed in that one extra layer of safety. I let them free range for 30-60 minutes almost everyday watching closely since we have tons of coyotes, hawks, owls...

my question is about my 3 additional bantams that for now are in the garage at night and outside in a little run for the day when I’m around. They are 3 months old. They are tiny, but about the same size as the bantam that is with the big flock. They are a silkie, a duccle and a polish bantam. I wanted to introduce them to the big flock and have them together but I’m not sure how to go about it. My 2 welsummers and one Wyandotte are aggressive towards the little ones (I put them together for a little bit while watching very closely).

Anyone with experience on similar situation? And successfully integrating the tinies with the bigger ones?

I know I might have to make a second enclosure for the littles, which is fine... but I would much rather have them all together and invest in nice structure and entertainment inside the one enclosure and work on having as much free range time as possible.

thank you for you suggestions 😀

Thank you @FuzzyCritters. I’ll try that starting tomorrow and see how it goes. I did try to put the more docile ones with the littles ones, one by one, and it only went well when there were three of the bigger ones, 1 or 2 of the big ones with the 3 littles, the big ones were afraid of the little ones 😂😂... I guess the nice big ones are way too nice.
So there is hope. I’ll try to let the 3 and 3 in the run while other big ones free range too, cause my little enclosure is too small for the bigger chickens to be able to move around.

Back
Top Bottom