Is it possible to keep Geese quiet?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
I wanted to basically ask this... can you keep geese quiet?

People say ducks are noisy, and I have a whole backyard of ducks. But my ducks don't make hardly any noise as long as I feed them on time. This made me wonder if maybe geese being noisy is more about not knowing how to control them?

What do you think?

Someone in my area is selling geese and this almost never happens. So I thought I'd check.

Ummm... Considering how much of an *expletive* my neighbour is being. I wish I knew!
The short answer is no.

The long answer is it depends on the personality of your goose, where you keep them and how used to being around people and strange scary noises they are.

Geese make a low babble like “babababababa” fairly often, it’s their most common vocalization. Now and then they honk pretty loudly, almost like a horn, which is a “I’m here, how are you! if you seperate one you’ll hear constant screaming until they’re reunited. They’ll honk at you as a “HELLO!” when you return after going somewhere.

Africans and Chinese are louder than greylag based breeds, but not always by much.

Personally the sound doesn’t bother me, I currently have 11 geese, but other people aren’t always as tolerant.

I'd call my geese fairly quiet for half the year. Than comes breeding season in early spring and I need earplugs. They go from enjoyable to have a chit chat with to me running because I can't stand the noise. By fall they are nice birds again.

I have what's called quiet breeds. I can't imagine the noisy ones. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom