Is it possible to only buy one chicken to add to a flock?

Aussiechickener

Chirping
Mar 3, 2020
So unfortunately one of my beautiful girls died recently protecting my little girls when my neighbours dog broke into the yard and attacked them.

I dont want to minimise her death because I loved her but I have considered getting another chicken. Unfortunately I am only able to have 6 chickens max on my property (council regulations) so I can't buy a pair.
I know it can be bad to introduce a single chicken into an established flock and I wouldn't do it if it was going to be worse off for the new one. The girl I lost was older than the rest and had stopped laying but she was a great protector so I think I'd prefer to get another girl who's a little older, which might mean they integrate better too.

If it helps my current flock consists of hens all about 1.5 years old. I have 2 Silkies, 1 bantam Sussex, 1 Sussex, and 1 Wyandotte x Brahma.

It should be fine. Pecking and attacking will be normal, as they are establishing the pecking order.

-Have you considered a rooster (*if your state allows it)? They are great protectors as well.
- Make sure the new chicken is about the same size as the rest, (not including the bantam obviously, cuz it's the only bantam)

Who is running around counting chickens ? So silly - get a pair and dont tell anyone 💕🍀
That’s very funny... and it makes a great joke! But I know I personally would not like to break rules... it’s just how I think.

It might work to integrate a single chicken into the flock, but allow for a lot of care and have a backup plan. Also, how big is your coop and run, in feet by feet? Extra space for integration is helpful.

One problem I could see: lots of places don’t let you get a single chick. At my farm and feed they have a rule of at least two chicks. Though would you be getting a full grown hen, or a chick?

It should be fine. Pecking and attacking will be normal, as they are establishing the pecking order.

-Have you considered a rooster (*if your state allows it)? They are great protectors as well.
- Make sure the new chicken is about the same size as the rest, (not including the bantam obviously, cuz it's the only bantam)
I can't have a rooster where I live unfortunately, that's why she took on the role herself. I'm considering just getting the two, my neighbours don't mind so much since they get free eggs and I dont think theyd notice an extra unless I told them.

Back
Top Bottom