Is it possible to sex my baby quail

Majak5

Songster
Feb 20, 2018
Lismore NSW AUSTRALIA
I need help sexiness my 2 baby quail, not sure if you feather sex or vent sex but I know you can’t feather sex at such a young age. I can send pics or their vents if that is how you sex them.
5DA04BE0-2E3A-4BC2-B9C4-0014B146FEC3.jpeg
266EE466-708D-4AE3-889D-23A709BCD8D5.jpeg
E7CFE758-A8BB-4061-A51A-420AEC82FB18.jpeg
89C96B00-5AA0-474F-9DC9-4D5949B67621.jpeg

Vent sexing doesn't work till they are at least 6 weeks old - the males have to produce sperm, as vent sexing works by pushing around their vent and see if any foam (sperm) comes out.
Feather sexing won't work for the yellow one, but for the other one you might be able to tell the sex by looking at its chest feathers when it is around 3-4 weeks old. Lots of spots means it's female, no spots and a slightly rusty color means male.

For now, all you can do is be patient.

Vent sexing doesn't work till they are at least 6 weeks old - the males have to produce sperm, as vent sexing works by pushing around their vent and see if any foam (sperm) comes out.
Feather sexing won't work for the yellow one, but for the other one you might be able to tell the sex by looking at its chest feathers when it is around 3-4 weeks old. Lots of spots means it's female, no spots and a slightly rusty color means male.

For now, all you can do is be patient.
Thanks, was hoping there was a way to find out sooner, gonna stitch with the names though, the striped one is pip and the blond os Gabriel. You wouldn’t happen to know what breed the yellow one is?

As far as I know all coturnix quail are considered the same breed. The yellow one should be white when it grows up, it's really just a color variation. Though there is a line of white coturnix quail called the Texas A&M that has been bred specifically for their color as well as for high egg production and high weight.

As far as I know all coturnix quail are considered the same breed. The yellow one should be white when it grows up, it's really just a color variation. Though there is a line of white coturnix quail called the Texas A&M that has been bred specifically for their color as well as for high egg production and high weight.
Thanks, I don’t know how I could even get that colour quail, I ave 3 jap colour and one Italian colour. I’m gonna have quite the colour variation here

White is recessive so a bird can carry the gene without showing it. If the chick hatched from your own eggs, you know you have two birds carrying the white gene.

White is recessive so a bird can carry the gene without showing it. If the chick hatched from your own eggs, you know you have two birds carrying the white gene.
Thanks, didn’t think I would end up with a white quail, do you know any other recessive colours that I could get from them

Sorry, I'm not that well into coturnix genetics. You could probably search this forum for 'quail mutations' or something like that and find lots of info.

Back
Top Bottom