Is it possible to tell the sex of a runner duck at 8 weeks?

CoriM

Crowing
Jun 6, 2019
I have two runners who are 8 weeks old. They were ordered from a hatchery and both are supposed to be female. Their voices are starting to change, and I notice one is a sharper, louder peep and the other is definitely more raspy and whispery. They both vocalize equally as much. The one I am worried might be male also was doing the head-bobbing routine in the pond a few days ago, and today I saw it again and it looked like it might want to mount my other duckling, but I interfered. My older females all do this, so I know it's not gender-specific, but I'm wondering if it might be starting so early because it's male Is this way too young to tell the sex of the ducks, or do I have hope that it could still turn out to be female? Thanks....

Here is a video where you can hear the two voices - gray is the one I am concerned might be male:

Here is a video where you can hear the two voices - gray is the one I am concerned might be male:
Does sound raspy like a drakes and I would think it would be too young to be a female and mounting another (usually do that to establish peaking order). If I had to guess I would say male but ducks can be funny sometimes so maybe she just hasn’t found her honk yet. Usually about the 10 week mark or a little later the drakes will develop their curly sex feather on their butt. You could wait and see if that comes in to really verify that you have a male. Usually hatcherys are pretty accurate with their sexing bur mistakes happen. You could always reach out as well and see if they will do anything for your troubles.

No, what should I hear if I did that, that would help me determine the sex?

I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run - if she is a he it will eventually be revealed and I'll just have to see how it goes. I have 5 older females and two young ones the same age as this duck. I'll have to see how it goes..... Still hoping she turns out not to be a boy!

Thanks for the videos! I only wish my ducklings and big ducks interacted like that! My little ones keep chasing the big ones and the big ones are terrified. Hoping this settles down in the next couple of months so they can exist happily together :). Will have to wait a couple weeks to know for sure about my Dixie, will let you know what happens!

Have you tried to pick them up separately and carry each one away from the flock? At this age with a sharp ear, you can tell the difference when they are distressed.
Hah! Back when mine were smallish i tried this because one of my rouens developed a reslly dark almost green head and i thought she might be a boy. The problem is that she was so sweet and docile even of i removed out of sight for several minutes she wouldn't make a sound. Just sit in my arms content. - she is a female but i think she get confused on that sometimes as she mounts the other girls from time to time (or maybe shes just gender nonconforming who am i to judge?)

Back
Top Bottom