Is it possible to train a rooster to mate with a hen gently?

When a rooster wants to mate he has to sneak up on the hen,grab her on the neck and jump on her then it only lasts about 3 seconds.I know it looks rough for someone who hasn't seen it before but that's just the way they mate.I'd say it was the hen making a fuss that made him get rough to try and hold on to her.After a while when the roosters and hen get more experience you shouldn't have a problem.As for the dancing this is the first I've heard of it and I doubt a rooster would do a dance for a hen because she would just run away.
P.S don't shoot the poor rooster with a bb gun as he is only following his instinct.
Good luck
1f414.png

Last edited:
Ours was very rough to start with but after a bit he seemed to settle down and was much gentler. Give him a little while for his hormones to settle.

This may sound odd, buy my rooster has been introduced to cougar hens. They are a few years older than him but I swear her was dancing of for them, he was cirlcing one and was doing this weird thing with his wings, he wasn't hurting them, I haven't seen him get it in with nay of the chickens, but he was doing weird things I havent see before.

When a rooster wants to mate he has to sneak up on the hen,grab her on the neck and jump on her then it only lasts about 3 seconds.I know it looks rough for someone who hasn't seen it before but that's just the way they mate.I'd say it was the hen making a fuss that made him get rough to try and hold on to her.After a while when the roosters and hen get more experience you shouldn't have a problem.As for the dancing this is the first I've heard of it and I doubt a rooster would do a dance for a hen because she would just run away.
P.S don't shoot the poor rooster with a bb gun as he is only following his instinct.
Good luck
1f414.png

The rooster dance is so quick and short, if you're not watching, you'll miss it. They usually do a half circle around the front of the hen while dropping their wing and shoulder that is facing the hen. Another interesting thing I have noticed is that the dance/approach is counter clockwise and the hen is mated from the left. Subordinate roos don't have time for this, they have to be sneaky opportunists.
smile.png

This rooster attacked me today while he was out with one of these hens. he has never shown me any signs of aggression, I've even picked him up a few times without a problem. I had to kick him a few times until he stopped trying to attack me. How do I handle this? Should I not let him see these hens anymore? I tried to catch him, but he kept running away from me, half an hour later, he still won't let me go near him. If he's scared of me, what was the point in attacking me?

From what I've experienced it's a dominance thing. He attempted to dominate u and u stood your ground. For me a time or two of showing him who's boss and it uselly stops. I only give a Roo a couple chances then it's freezer camp. I've never kept a mean roo and won't tolerate attacks on people.

I want him to be a gentlemen. I've only ever heard him crow, never call out for predators or call the hens over for food.
You can't anthropomorphize animal behavior. I would like to cuddle with a Grizzly bear; however, the end result would be painfully fatal. To turn an aggressive mating behavior of a rooster in a smooth Don Juan is equal futile. Ducks also mate aggressively if you have seen them in the wild. The gander mounts the female, bites her neck and dunks her head under the water.

Livestock, pets, and animals need to be understood through their matrix of reality, not something imposed from our own psyche. For instance, all dogs are a pack animal. You can dress them up in humiliating sweaters and so forth, but that does not make them more human. They need to see their owner as the Alpha dog, otherwise trouble and violence ensues for dominancy. Children in a family also need to assert dominancy over the dog. The dog sees them as pack mates and rivals, which can lead to violence, unless they understand that they are at the back of the pack.

Long story short, we need to understand the psychology of animals for what they are, not an imaginary humanity we impose upon them.

This may sound odd, buy my rooster has been introduced to cougar hens. They are a few years older than him but I swear her was dancing of for them, he was cirlcing one and was doing this weird thing with his wings, he wasn't hurting them, I haven't seen him get it in with nay of the chickens, but he was doing weird things I havent see before.

You saw the dance I mentioned in post #15! He is trying to convince the hen to allow him to mount her. If she decides she likes him then he is in business!
smile.png

This rooster attacked me today while he was out with one of these hens. he has never shown me any signs of aggression, I've even picked him up a few times without a problem. I had to kick him a few times until he stopped trying to attack me. How do I handle this? Should I not let him see these hens anymore? I tried to catch him, but he kept running away from me, half an hour later, he still won't let me go near him. If he's scared of me, what was the point in attacking me?

He is seeing you as a threat. It's either fight or flight, fighting you didn't work so he ran. I have 3 roosters. In the coop I move around very slowly and deliberately. I never chase a bird inside or out. I hand feed daily to assess everyone. If there is no emergency, I wait until night time to remove a hen for treatment. I talk softly and look birds in the eye the whole time I am in the coop. I always fill feeders, waterers, hand feed and collect eggs in the same order every day. I frequently pick up the roosters and just chat with them and when I set them down, I will not let go of them until they stand still. There are various theories on how or if you can tame a rooster but, I believe violence begets violence. There are some physical but non violent ways to try taming but they don't always work. It takes time and patience and you can never show or feel fear, they know. In the past 7+ years, I have only had to cull 2 rotten roosters. Good luck, whatever you do.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom