Is it possible to Train Chickens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Megornot, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Megornot

Megornot New Egg

Apr 5, 2008
    I am a gardener for a beautiful event center. We have about 15 free range chickens on our grounds whom I find quite wonderful. The problem is, they are eating our flowers.

Has any one trained Chickens to not go into certain areas without a fence? (I goggled this and saw someone had used a broom - but not sure if this would be a long term thing)

We would love to have harmony between the plants and the birds! any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    could u temporarily put up a hot wire??

3. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    I had my chickens and vegetable beds separated by fishing line, we couldn't see it from distance, so it looked great aesthetically and worked wonderfully well with the chickens.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Well, I know my Mom uses plastic snakes in the rows of her garden to keep out the birds....wonder if that would work for chickens? Maybe lay a few next to the beds? Or the plastic owls that have the motion sensor hooting?

5. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:LOL...you just brought back a favorite memory of my favorite roo (now deceased) eating a snake when I still thought he was a she [​IMG] SO....my point is, I dunno about your chickens...but MY chickens EAT snakes [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by