Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ArizonaNessa, Nov 4, 2009.

1. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Is it possible for a hen that just started laying to lay an egg that missed the pigment process? [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How so??? What do mean??? Explain please...

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Is the shell a see through? or is it rubbery? If it's rubbery, you've got to get them some more calcium.

Who laid it? Your Ancona? one of the Leghorns?

4. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    None of the above. I have 7 rhode island reds and 1 red sex link in a pen with 2 female royal palm turkeys and 3 female bourbon red turkeys. All the chickens came from Ideal hatchery. The chickens just started laying. All the eggs have been brown. Until today I got one white egg. All earlobes on every one of those birds is red. Not a little red, really red. The egg was stark white like a leghorn egg but there are no other birds any kind of way that could have possibly laid in those boxes except for the above stated birds. So this brings me to my question of is it possible for a pullet to lay an egg that by accident missed the pigment process?

Just wanted to add that there was nothing odd about the egg. It was a nice egg and if it had of popped out the the back end of a leghorn I would not be scratching my head about anything lol

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    They can skip the pigment process sometimes. A chicken that normally lays brown eggs might give you a very pale or even white one once in a blue moon.

6. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Like the rare white buffalo? [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a bowl with over 40 eggs sitting on my kitchen counter. Can't eat em since the hens were just wormed.
    About five of these eggs from my brown egg layers are white as snow. In other words, yes white happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by