Is it possible

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whistlin dixie, Apr 9, 2007.

1. whistlin dixie

whistlin dixie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2007
    Somewhere I once read that I could hatch an egg by putting some straw in a bucket, with the egg on top and a heat lamp above it as long as I turned the egg twice a day. Is this true, because I would like to try it.

2. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Best way to find out would be to try it. Though caution is advisable. Heat plus dry kindling equals fire hazard. Right?

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I would think so! [​IMG] Also, there is something with humidity that is a factor in hatching.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would be very hesitant to try that. Like Skeeredchicken said....heat and straw...bad combo..and you will need humidity for it to work.

5. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    ....heat and straw...bad combo..

Eeek. <Runs out to check the coop again> I have the chicks heat lamp hanging (securly) about 26 inches above the floor of their coop which is covered with straw. However, our bales were still "damp" as the farmer called it so he said fire would be unlikely.

But I DO agree with the humidity factor, and it would be kinda hard to regulate a stead temp in a bucket, I would think. Maybe, if it had a few small holes for ventilation, and a top to keep heat and moisture in, and you added water somehow....that might work? I would only try it with an egg you could afford to loose though first.​

6. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Oh, and best to turn in three times a day [​IMG]

Any odd number greater than 1, really

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by