is it possible..?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesduckies, Aug 26, 2010.

1. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    that my drake was "shooting blanks?" my hen layed a nest and we waited and waited and waited for them to hatch and nothing happened so they started to smell really bad so i threw them out. one of which had already been broken 2 weeks before (no duckling and it was over 35 days) and when i threw them out on tuesday there was a broken one in the nest but the contents of it was yellow.

he's almost a year. this was my hens second clutch. i have one of their babies from the first clutch.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Heat can effect fertility, and the viability of eggs. So soon after Quackers hatching out her first lot- its not likely Duckie is Shooting blanks. Candling eggs at various stages is the only real way to tell for sure- that way you can see how many start developing. By 35 days some that have gone rotten are too dark to tell if there was ever a duckling growing in there.

3. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    if i remember correctly, u raise muscovies. muscovies being a larger breed(especially the drakes), fertility can be improved by having them access to a pool at least 6 to 8 in deep. i also know that fertility drops when you are trying to make mules. if those two things do not concern this issue, maybe diet?

4. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    thanks ducky. i need a torch [​IMG] LOL

jrobertson, i do have socvies. the breeding pair are in their own pen with a pool. i'm not sure how deep it is..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by