Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by epitidios, May 9, 2011.

1. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Hallo people,

One of my hens was sitting on some eggs for 3 weeks. Due to my stupidity i didn't isolate her from the others, and as a result of this 5 out of the 6 eggs broke, and from the last one no chick came out. For some reason she still sits on the nest, so i decide to give her a second chance. So now i have her isolated in a nest with more eggs. Will it work? Will she sit on the eggs for another 3 weeks?

Thanx a lot in advance

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It is possibe with certain breeds, but it can also be unhealthy for the hen. I'd give her day old chicks instead...

3. charbel

charbel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    in my opinion its more then possible coz it happened to me ones

4. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    I spoke with my uncle, and he told me that I should better remove her from the nest, because these extra days may kill her. Any idea how to make sure that she will not sit on eggs?

5. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    I removed my hen from the nest this morning, and took the eggs from the nest. She went to have a look, and when she noticed that the eggs were gone, she ran in the coop and sat in a nest. What should i do? I noticed that she lost some weight and I am not sure if she will make it., if she sits on eggs for 3 more weeks. Any tricks to discourage her from sitting on the nest?

6. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
  7. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    I've heard the same thing either a cage off the floor or cool her breast down with an ice pack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by