Is it realistic to caponize a pet “illegal” cockerel?

I think that castrating roosters can make them more mellow -- like with steers. The testicles are removed, and testosterone and other male hormones are cut back, which can result in less aggressive behavior in the animal.

Not sure about how humane it is, or really anything else about it, sorry. It sounds pretty interesting, though -- if you do it, I don't suppose that you would mind talking about it? Giving details, or maybe pictures?

I think that castrating roosters can make them more mellow -- like with steers. The testicles are removed, and testosterone and other male hormones are cut back, which can result in less aggressive behavior in the animal.

Not sure about how humane it is, or really anything else about it, sorry. It sounds pretty interesting, though -- if you do it, I don't suppose that you would mind talking about it? Giving details, or maybe pictures?
I definitely will. I am so lucky to have an exotics vet nearby (I have no idea how chickeNs somehow became “exotics” just because we’re in an urban area), so hopefully they’ll be able to give some good advice.

Its not a real humane procedure. It's fine, but it's pretty tough to people who see them as pets. The animal is restrained without anethesia (birds can have really bad effects from it) and then is opened enough to remove the testes. However if the male has already started to crow, even after he's caponed, he'll continue to crow. It's a learned having at that time.

There is also a risk (lower the more one is experienced in doing it) of the bird not making it
Without anesthesia??! That’s horrible! I don’t think I could do that. He hasn’t crowed yet, but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard him trying and failing.

Yeah so there’s no reason to do it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I agree it can make them more mellow, but why would you not want fertile eggs? It’s no harm
Because OP can't have a rooster. Most rules about roosters are put in place due to noise, so the theory is that caponizing them would make them legal

Back
Top Bottom