Is it really 21 days exactly?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Birchwood, May 3, 2009.

1. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    Just wondering if 21 days is really accurate or if that is just an average?[​IMG]

2. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    When we incubate eggs we usually have some come out before 21 days, I think the earliest was on like the 18'th or 19'th day, a lot that come out on day 21, but very few that make it after that.

So my guess would be 21 days is what's usual/ the latest day they come out for the most part (at least in my experiences). [​IMG]

Edit: Our avatars look a little alike [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    I've had them hatch from 19-23 days.

4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    As long as you are having a good hatch don't mess with it. It does sound like you are running a little warm but that's better than cool.

5. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had chicks hatch on day 25!! I've never had an early one or even a batch on time---wierd I know but I always say give them a few extra days--you never know!!![​IMG]

6. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It sound like you need to raise your temperature. You should always adjust you incubator until the egg are finished hatching on the 21 st day because that's when they are supposed to hatch.

7. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm still working on getting the temps just right in my homemade bator--I figured that too low of a temp was all it was. I was just saying not to give up on the eggs too soon--it's possible to have late hatches. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by