Is it really Pink?

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I hear that it is possible to get pink eggs.
Ok, not sure how to word this but, are they really pink? or just a wierd shade of brown that if you hold your head sideways and stare through a beer bottle you could call it pink?

I have one that lays lighter brown eggs but at times they look like you could 'almost' say they were pinkish, so wondering exactly what people mean when they say pink eggs.

Thank you
Aaron

they are pink
I hear that it is possible to get pink eggs.
Ok, not sure how to word this but, are they really pink? or just a wierd shade of brown that if you hold your head sideways and stare through a beer bottle you could call it pink?

I have one that lays lighter brown eggs but at times they look like you could 'almost' say they were pinkish, so wondering exactly what people mean when they say pink eggs.

Thank you
Aaron

Really pink. Our Langshans lay them, but not all the time.

Here's a picture of Brahma eggs on the left and our Langshan Pinkie's first 3 eggs on the right...her 4th egg is the pink one on top. You can see how thick the bloom is.

She and the other Langshans laid pink all the way through their 1st season, until November. They started laying again in January, and this season the pink isn't as pronounced.

Pinkie-LangshanEggs10-2020.jpg

Wow, that IS pink and thank you for the explanation AND pictures!!
That does explain a lot, because only once in a while they do seem pinkish, I was thinking maybe it was the light, or the drugs :p

The good news is, now I know it's something that can be done
The. ??? news is, yep, another chikkin gonna git added to the gang.
Lets see
White, Lt Brown, Dark Brown, Chocolate, Light Green Dark Green, Olive, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Pink. The snuggly one and the bossy one- just because.

Ill call them The Purty Dozen :) - Just don't tell the HOA :(

Aaron

Really pink. Our Langshans lay them, but not all the time.

1st season, until November. They started laying again in January, and this season the pink isn't as pronounced.

View attachment 2619205

so is there something you can feed them, or something you can do, that might entice the pink to come on, or is it really just hit and miss?

so is there something you can feed them, or something you can do, that might entice the pink to come on, or is it really just hit and miss?
Good question! That's a thinker. When they were laying the pinkest, they were eating a mix of...
- Burkmann 20% crumble
- Kalmbach layer pellet 17%
- Scratch and Peck Grower 17%
- Manna oyster shell on the side

I shifted to all Kalmbach over the past few months for many reasons, so now they get...
- 20% crumble
- 16% maintenance pellet
- 17% layer

Can you tell I'm a commitment phobe?? I'm never sure if they're getting too much protein or not enough, so I give them options. Also don't want the rooster to have too much calcium.

Here's the thing: Kalmbach is always fresh and smells like a delicious blend of herbs, but it's corn-based, which I don't love, non-GMO or not. I think it's what gave our Light Brahma's feathers a yellowish tint, and now you've got me thinking...could corn reduce bloom?

Or is it just age, weather, etc.? Egg-color changes seem like a part of chicken life, even for flocks whose tender can commit to one feed, ha.

Back
Top Bottom