Is it really this complicated? Feeling a bit overwhelmed!

I am also planning to start small. I live in town at the moment and our city ordinances only allow for two chickens per person with a maximum of six per household and no roosters. We will be building a small shed/outbuilding kit from a local hardware store and fitting it with a roosting pole and a couple of nest boxes. We plan to attach a generously sized run using 2x4 framing and chicken wire or hardware cloth. Hubby says it will take a week to build since we only have time on evenings and weekends, so I figure ten days to be safe. Hope that sparks the the imagination and gives you some ideas :) Good luck with your chicks, you'll do great!

Where is central USA and depending on how handy you are with tools and dedicated time to build cause six weeks will go fast look at alot of pic's and design your own it's part of the experience. Have Fun NO STREES

I got my first chickens when I was 7. You know how I got them? I was borowing them from a friend the breeds chickens. My mom nd I ended up falling in love with them. Did we have a brooder NO. Did we have a coop NO. did we have any feeders or waters NO. All I had was advice from friends and now I'm 13 and thinking about breeding and hatching chickens. Theanswwer to your questiong is that you just need to take a chance. Borow from friends buy you own stuff go to stores find out things for your self thats all it takes.

Like I've said, I'm so new to this myself just like you are. I've been making me a list of stuff I need. I put what I need, how much it is, the best one I think I need, and the store that carrys it at a lower price.

I've also done my research on each breed of chicken that I like. I'm down to Orpingtons and Longhorns. My MIL wants me to get a RIR, but I'm not sure about those just yet.

By all the research that I've done, you would think I'm a expert at it, but I'm not. Nowhere close to it. I'm learning something new each day about them. I also have the measurements on the chicken coop figured out and the blueprint down on paper. My lesson to learn is the taste difference between commercial and free ranged eggs. I'm gonna try talk to my aunt about giving me 2-3 eggs to try out. Hope I like 'em!

... My lesson to learn is the taste difference between commercial and free ranged eggs. I'm gonna try talk to my aunt about giving me 2-3 eggs to try out. Hope I like 'em!

We have friends who occasionally gift us a dozen eggs. They are wonderful -- richer tasting and firmer. Grocery store eggs taste watered down by comparison.

The farm eggs can be done "over medium" without breaking the yolks. I can't do that with grocery store eggs at all.

Here is the one I have. I don't think it had a heater, though it is possible it did and that it got tossed. When we bought our property, most of the buildings were so full of stuff. Not being raised on a farm, I had to search out Uses for some of them. This is one thing I held onto. I found it in the "bird building". And left it there... Just pulled it out to take this picture. :)

That is really cool! Never even heard of a hover before. I only know about the light bulb reflectors that have wire in the front ( I guess to make sure if it falls, the bulb isn't on the ground but I don't know).

I've also done my research on each breed of chicken that I like. I'm down to Orpingtons and Longhorns. My MIL wants me to get a RIR, but I'm not sure about those just yet.

My lesson to learn is the taste difference between commercial and free ranged eggs. I'm gonna try talk to my aunt about giving me 2-3 eggs to try out. Hope I like 'em!

What about the Australorps and Easter Eggers?

You'll like them. First thing you will notice is that you need to whack them harder to crack them. After you get used to "home made" eggs be careful if you go to someone's house that has store eggs, you'll make a mess with those things if you whack them as hard as the eggs you get from your girls. The second thing you'll notice is the yolks are a darker, richer shade of yellow. The third thing is the whites will be firmer and the yolk will sit higher (fried eggs),

I wouldn't start with adult birds. Trial and error is an integral part of life. Hatchery chicks are cheap lessons that you learn as you go. I started with 27 chicks. Two died within 24hrs and I received a refund from McMurry. I have not had a fatality from then on out except for roosters that run into knives. Chick starter, plenty of water, and keep warm. Watch a couple of youtube videos and your set. I agree that it is great to finally get eggs. But 10 pullets would cost 300plus after shipping. My two boys would have missed out on so much that it wouldn't be worth it. Plus if you can bring home infants from the hospital, chicks are easy. I didn't loose sleep at all.
thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif
I REALLY don't see the "problems" with raising them from 2 day old chicks. Maybe I just got lucky but they weren't any big effort. None died in shipping which IS harder on grown birds. Change their water, make sure they have food and they are happy with the heat. Check for pasty butt. That was it, ALL of it, REALLY! Well, except the part where we newbies marvel at what a little chick can do in the absence of any "mom" education. And how fast they grow and their feathers change. They are amazing little creatures.

Bruce

KillerB's: That's what I've heard. Also heard that they are much healthier.

Bruce: I have also thought about Australorps. A friend of mine has one and he loves his girls! Such beautiful chickens with the green shine shinning in the sunlight!

Like I've said, I'm so new to this myself just like you are. I've been making me a list of stuff I need. I put what I need, how much it is, the best one I think I need, and the store that carrys it at a lower price.

By all the research that I've done, you would think I'm a expert at it, but I'm not. Nowhere close to it. I'm learning something new each day about them. I also have the measurements on the chicken coop figured out and the blueprint down on paper. My lesson to learn is the taste difference between commercial and free ranged eggs. I'm gonna try talk to my aunt about giving me 2-3 eggs to try out. Hope I like 'em!

Any eggs from gals you raise yourself and fed good, quality premium feed will taste a lot better than a mass produced egg. Think garden tomatoes compared to "tomatoes" from the store. I've had numerous different breeds and it is fun to try different ones until you find the ones you like most. The Cinnamon Queens (also called Comets, Red Stars, ISA Browns) are very productive and tame. RIRs are very good too and not too high strung, as well as Black Australorps and Buff Orphingtons. White Leghorns are awesome layers too but a more high strung/skittish. Brown Leghorns are beautiful birds but not as good layers as their white counterparts. Have fun! And watch out for Chicken Math!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom