1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is it red mites?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by luvh3ns, Sep 10, 2014.

1. luvh3ns

luvh3ns In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    Okay, I'm pretty sure I have a red mite problem.... and I'm pretty sure it maybe in my own house now. My hens come inside the house to an indoor coop in the evening.

For a few weeks, I have been finding these very, small grey bugs around my house I didn't think much of them - thought maybe they were carpet beetles.

About a week ago, I started getting a bunch of bug bites when I was sleeping and thought maybe they were from bed bugs or carpet beetle allergic reaction.

Today, I picked up my hen to let her outside, and her ear lobe was COVERED in small, red bugs.

It seems like it's a serious red mite infestation - what do you think????

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    From what you have described yes you have a mite problem. The mites start grey and once they have fed they turn red with the blood they have sucked. I would try to get on top of the problem as soon as possible it can very quickly turn into into an infestation. I had a terrible problem in my coop. I power washed the coop out and even more came out as the water disturbed them. After it had dried I gave it a good spray with mite kill then when that had dried o applied liberal amounts of diatom earth every where. I continued with spray and earth every 3 days for 2 weeks. Finally got rid of them. I would give your birds a good dust with suitable mite/lose powder too.https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention. Hope you get sorted soon and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: